Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:00 PM   #1
uicandrew
macrumors 6502a

view archived email offline (besides imap)?

I was wondering if you guys knew of any program to view old email offline. I know that IMAP allows offline viewing for 25-50 messages at a time, but i'm talking about hundreds of megabytes of emails.

I'm hardly around a wifi spot, so having all the messages on my ipod touch is best

i want the ipod touch to act as my email storage device. I currently use a mac so i guess i'm looking for a *.mbox or *.emlx reader

i figure with 8gb or 16gb of space, using some of it to store old emails wouldn't be a bad a idea, right?
uicandrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:38 PM   #2
panto
macrumors newbie

I don't really know about any apps that do that. But wait a few weeks, when the SDK is released I'm sure we'll get a lot of useful apps
Old Jan 31, 2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Forkaster
macrumors member

I think you meant POP. IMAP does not allow downloading of your email for offline viewing, well it will download the emails that you like to read, but only when you are online.

If you use POP, you will download all emails and will be able to read them all while offline.

And i think the iPod allows POP, doesn't it?
Forkaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 04:45 PM   #4
craigieji
macrumors newbie

NO offline viwing for IMAP?

SO, if i understand correctly and based on all the head to desk banging i have been doing, my understanding is that i cannot view my mails offline from my IMAP accounts, even though i check that box in the advanced pane of my mail preferences.

The name and subject shows up in searches, but not content unless i am online. Does anyone know about this?

Please confirm or advise.

Furthermore, i desperately need to use IMAP for synching mail between my iphone and macbook, but it munches MB to continually have them sending/receiving, like each time i search when i am online, or am online at all with an IMAP account it seems, i was using large amounts of data daily, and here in South Africa, that is really expensive. Plus we are not always connected.

please help..

Many thanks
Craig
craigieji is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch