Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:06 PM   #1
safetyobc
macrumors 6502

Mail.app - Can't delete mailbox

I have a Mailbox that I want to delete from Mail.app.

I can right click it, select delete. And it gives the warning. I select OK and it does nothing. I have tried it through the menu system too, and the same result.

Any idea how to delete the mailbox? The deal is I set it up to an email that I cannot access via POP and it is constantly trying to access it but can't, obviously.

Thanks for any assistance.
safetyobc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:08 PM   #2
swiftaw
macrumors 603

Did you try removing it from Preferences->Accounts?
swiftaw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:10 PM   #3
CJRhoades
macrumors 6502

I've had the same problem. But, it eventually (after a week or two) just corrected itself.
CJRhoades is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:12 PM   #4
safetyobc
macrumors 6502

Awesome. Went to preferences and unchecked the "enable" and it is gone.

Thanks.
safetyobc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 07:40 PM   #5
MeSince83
macrumors newbie

thanks this was helpful to me as well. I've been trying to delete this mailbox for 2 days.
MeSince83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 01:43 PM   #6
cao812
macrumors newbie

Deleting mailboxes

thanks worked for me as well. It did not automatically delete. After restart, mailbox deleted.

24' imac 750gb
16 gb iphone
1 ipod 16gb

Last edited by cao812; Apr 5, 2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: adding more info
cao812 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2009, 05:25 PM   #7
Jerry44
macrumors newbie

Deleting mailbox

I just went to Mail ... Preferences ... selected the account and clicked the minus sign at the bottom.
Jerry44 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 05:43 PM   #8
NancyinWI
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry44 View Post
I just went to Mail ... Preferences ... selected the account and clicked the minus sign at the bottom.
THANK YOU!
Got our daughter a Macbook Pro for college and was helping her set up her email mailboxes. The info on the college website was incorrect as far as the socket, so I tried over again leaving the socket that it automatically supplied, so we had 2 college mailboxes, one which worked and which didn't.

I tried deleting, by going to mailboxes, but the "delete this mailbox" (which is what the help search told me to do!) and it was greyed out! Googling found this answer for me and it worked. THANKS AGAIN!
NancyinWI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 05:35 AM   #9
peterlundh
macrumors newbie

Thanks for that!

-Peter
peterlundh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2010, 05:37 AM   #10
ngllgn
macrumors newbie

Cannot delete mailbox

I have followed all the instructions in this thread and I still cannot delete a mailbox. By this, I mean that I have selected the mailbox (folder) I wish to delete, clicked on the star and arrow down icon at the bottom of the mailbox window, selected 'Delete' Mailbox and pressed 'Delete', to no effect. I have also gone to Accounts>Preferences and disabled all my mail accounts, although I don't understand why this is relevant since I don't wish to delete an account. Having disabled all my mail accounts, I again tried to delete the mailbox, quit Mail and restarted it. The unwanted mailbox is still there though. Any ideas please would be welcome.

It may or not be relevant but the icon next to the name of the mailbox is a clear white colour rather than the usual light blue and has an arrow next to it, signifying perhaps that it a folder with something in it. But there is nothing in it.
ngllgn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:30 AM   #11
ILikeDrums
macrumors newbie

worked for me

first off, thanks to safetyobc who posted about unchecking the "enable" box in preferences! worked like a charm!

to ngling: more specifically, the way I got it to work was by unchecking that box (for only the account I wished to remove), saving the changes (by simply navigating away from that account info), and then, while still in preferences, highlighting the account and clicking the subract [-] button near the bottom (right next to the add [+] button). It removed the account right then and there. Good luck!
ILikeDrums is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 01:39 PM   #12
drstevene
macrumors newbie

Delete a mailbox

sorry, the problem cleared itself, though i do not know why
drstevene is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:26 AM   #13
SF27
macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Clicked the "-" and the offending mailbox is finally gone!
SF27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:01 AM   #14
Maraka
macrumors newbie

To nling

Go to Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Unclick "Enable this account"... Like shown in the attachmnt.

Hope it works for u.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngllgn View Post
I have followed all the instructions in this thread and I still cannot delete a mailbox. By this, I mean that I have selected the mailbox (folder) I wish to delete, clicked on the star and arrow down icon at the bottom of the mailbox window, selected 'Delete' Mailbox and pressed 'Delete', to no effect. I have also gone to Accounts>Preferences and disabled all my mail accounts, although I don't understand why this is relevant since I don't wish to delete an account. Having disabled all my mail accounts, I again tried to delete the mailbox, quit Mail and restarted it. The unwanted mailbox is still there though. Any ideas please would be welcome.

It may or not be relevant but the icon next to the name of the mailbox is a clear white colour rather than the usual light blue and has an arrow next to it, signifying perhaps that it a folder with something in it. But there is nothing in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-03-12 at 10.00.25 AM.png
Views:	117
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	329102  
Maraka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 09:22 PM   #15
MiraMar111
macrumors newbie

Swiftaw...
After struggling for a half hour I saw your answer. Problem solved immediately and so simply! Thank you.

Last edited by MiraMar111; Sep 28, 2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: replied to wrong poster
MiraMar111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store