Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:36 PM   #1
Planner Dude
macrumors 6502

How do I keep my website under 20mb, with lots of pictures?

I have free web space provided by my internet provider. So far I have used iweb to create a fun website, but now I want to place many photos of my new born baby, which I have in albums inside of iphoto.

Does anyone have any suggestions as how to keep my website size under 20mb?

-Can I reduce the photo size?

-Can I disable the download function, thereby getting rid of high res photos?

2.2 Ghz SR Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 120 GB Hard Drive, 2 GB of RAM and 128 MB GPU
Planner Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:37 PM   #2
zblaxberg

You would need something like photoshop to lower the image size and save for web so the jpegs will be compressed.
zblaxberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:41 PM   #3
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zblaxberg View Post
You would need something like photoshop to lower the image size and save for web so the jpegs will be compressed.
You can also do this in Photoshop Elements.

I use Elements just for this purpose, quick and easy way to slim down file size for web photos.

Open the photos, and under the FILE menu select " Saved For Web "

This will give you two panes, one with original file, other with web file.

You will also see data on new file size, and also time it will take the pic to download.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:01 PM   #4
aross99
macrumors 68000

Assuming you don't have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, you can also do this with Preview in Leopard.

Use Preview to open the photo you want to change

Click on "Adjust size" in the "Tools" menu.

Change "Fit into" to be one of the sizes you want, or change the units to "pixels" and enter one of the pixel dimensions you want.

Click OK

Click on "Save As" under the File menu, and save your picture with a new name.

Be careful NOT to save over your original images!
aross99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Darkroom

um... you can use iPhoto if you don't want to spend $1200 on photoshop... just export your library of photos for webpage. select an album, File > Export > Webpage. this export will actually create a basic webpage for you, but will also optimize your photos for web in their own folder at your export location so that you may use them however you want... additionally, i think it also creates thumbnails as well.

alternatively, you can also use Preview 4 (10.5 Leopard) to resize your images and convert to 60% JPGs

images for print = 300 PPI
images for screen = 72 PPI

Last edited by Darkroom; Jan 31, 2008 at 10:11 PM.
Darkroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:04 PM   #6
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

I'll 2nd using Photoshop Elements. It's compression for saving for web is quite good and keeps quality rather well at the same time. I also use Gimp, but haven't figured out how to get it to reduce file size and keep quality at the same level as Photoshop, which would be nice since Gimp is free.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 05:21 AM   #7
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelwatt View Post
I'll 2nd using Photoshop Elements. It's compression for saving for web is quite good and keeps quality rather well at the same time. I also use Gimp, but haven't figured out how to get it to reduce file size and keep quality at the same level as Photoshop, which would be nice since Gimp is free.
Also doing it in Elements allows you to actually see the modified pic and allow you to adjust compression level so that an acceptable image is produced.

You can play with a couple of different settings such.

You also have the option of converting format, like loading up a JPEG and converting it to GIF or PNG, and each of those have their own 'tuning' adjustments.

Also Elements isn't all that expensive.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development