Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kencris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
Hello, I know that between two Macs you can have the feature of shared screen and communicate between them, is this possible with a regular PC running Windows XP and a Mac book pro? It might help to mention that I have the airport extreme, and the PC is connected with wire to it. The Mac book pro is wireless with the Airport extreme. Is this possible? and how do I do this?

Carrot007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Yorkshire
There are many ways to do this.

This is what I use.

Download and install TightVNC on the XP machine. (remember to allow the port on the firewall)

Download and install JollysFastVNC on the Mac (it's is soo much better than the other mac VNC clients, if you have time try them all and see what I mean)

Now you will be able to access the XP box from the Mac using JollysFastVNC.

If you want to be able to access the Mac from the XP box then enable VNC hsaring on the mac in the sharing system preferences and then use tightvnc lcient to connect to the mac.

As long as the machines are firewalled off from the outside world then you can use easy basic passwords and not worry about things. VNC is not greatly secure by itself so not recommended for use out over the net.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Far faster than using VNC (assuming you want to control your PC from the Mac rather than the other way around), grab yourself a copy of Cord, which is an open-source terminal server/Remote Desktop client. There's also an official Microsoft version, but Cord is that bit more powerful. I use it to admin several Windows servers and a network of Windows desktops from my Mac at work - it's pretty much as as fast as sitting at the PC itself - way faster than VNC (which I also use heavily for other purposes).

To control the Mac from the Windows box, however, then VNC as outlined by the previous poster is the way to do it.

kencris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
thank you guys, all this sounds great and I want to try it, but now the problem is I can not locate the PC as I mentione I use the mac wireless thru the airport extreme and I have the PC connected with wire to the Airport extreme, I have internet on both with no problem.

kencris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
It worked great, thank you o much now I can enjoy more my new macbook pro he he he. Do you know if it is possible to copy files from one screen to the other with this Cord? I tried drag and drop and does not carry it to the mac, I also tried copy and paste and was not able to do so. Am I doing something wrong?

kencris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
It worked great, thank you o much now I can enjoy more my new macbook pro he he he. Do you know if it is possible to copy files from one screen to the other with this Cord? I tried drag and drop and does not carry it to the mac, I also tried copy and paste and was not able to do so. Am I doing something wrong?

Has anyone used virtualbox? is this something similar? what would be best Cord or Virtualbox?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.