Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadDoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
UK
Hi,

I have been trying to decide what credit card payment service to use for selling an app I have written online. I think I am going to go with PayPal as their fees are much more reasonable and they pay instantly (although I realise that it is not as easy to setup).

I am a seasoned REALbasic coder but have only recently got into xHTML and CSS. I don't know any scripting languages (like PHP).

Eventually, I hope to write a script to automatically handle emailing out serial keys, etc when I get a purchase but for the time being I want to do it by hand.

Could someone just explain a couple of things to me in plain English that I haven't been able to work out?

As far as I see it - to sell stuff via PayPal, I just need to convert my PayPal account to a merchant one (done) and then create a "buy now" button with the details of the the app to sell. I figure I will use the "encrypted button" option to start with.

My question is simple really. When someone clicks this button and pays for my app - will PayPal email me with the person's email address? Is this a compulsory field that the buyer needs to enter? This would be the only way to send the buyer my app's serial after they have purchased it obviously!

Sorry for the long-winded question.

BTW, do scripts exist for doing this automatically?

Thanks,

MadDoc

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
Yep, I've used e-junkie and it's very easy to deal with. They handle the file hosting and delivery, and the fees are reasonable. Good (quick!) tech support. You can actually email a person and get a real response (not canned help-desk material).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.