Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Feb 1, 2008, 08:02 PM   #1
infinitethrill
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to infinitethrill
iPhone touch screen not working

I have a unlocked 1.1.2 iPhone that stopped responding to touch an hour ago.
I got a tmobile pay as you go sim card about a week ago, and everything has been working good with that. I didn't drop it or anything like that to make it stop working.

I know that it sometimes stops responding to touch, I sleep it and slide to unlock and it works again.

What I need to know is if there is anything I can do right now to get it working again? If not, I need to back up my notes over ssh if possible, then restore to 1.1.2. (and if that dosen't fix it, I know its bad.)

Thanks for suggestions in advance!

Last edited by infinitethrill; Feb 1, 2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: cause I said something stupid
infinitethrill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:59 PM   #2
infinitethrill
macrumors regular

Can I just get the 1.1.2 firmware and restore it?

Do I need to get the 1.1.1, jailbreakme, octoprep, then upgrade to 1.1.2?

I haven't done this in a while, so any tips would be appreciated...
Old Feb 2, 2008, 01:04 PM   #3
polishmacuser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitethrill View Post
Can I just get the 1.1.2 firmware and restore it?

Do I need to get the 1.1.1, jailbreakme, octoprep, then upgrade to 1.1.2?

I haven't done this in a while, so any tips would be appreciated...
you need to restore and downgrade to 1.1.1 to jailbreak again sadly. Pisses me off everytime something is wrong with the phone so you need to restore. Ya just backup everything and go ahead
Old Feb 2, 2008, 01:35 PM   #4
John Morris
macrumors newbie

Don't jailbreak your phone and you won't have this problem. The AT&T network isn't so bad, and it's certainly better than T-Mobile.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 03:24 AM   #5
infinitethrill
macrumors regular

I dont have 60 dollars a month...

I only put down $10 for the sim card and put 30 minutes on it. It works for me.

Ill try restoring to 1.1.1 now then.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 05:24 PM   #6
infinitethrill
macrumors regular

I just restored it to 1.1.1, ran iNdependence once, and now Im at the Activate iPhone screen, ready to jailbreakme.com.

Problem is, I cant slide for emergency. The touch still doesn't work...

Now what do I do? Should I call Apple? Take it into the store?

I can say it stopped working, so I restored it, and now it still doesn't work, and this is where I am now...
Old Feb 10, 2008, 06:53 AM   #7
Brunz
macrumors newbie

Bottom touch screen does not work

Hi,

I got the same problem with the bottom end of my screen.

did you got it fixed?
Brunz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:42 PM   #8
infinitethrill
macrumors regular

I took it to the Apple store, and they said I need to have an active AT&T account for service on it.

I don't have my sim card (I lost it, dammit) so I need to get a replacement sim from the AT&T store, register in itunes, take it to the Apple store for service, get a fixed phone, cancel the AT&T plan, jailbreak and unlock new phone...

Still waiting on going to get a replacement sim card.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:35 AM   #9
trogdor!
macrumors regular

Quote:
I dont have 60 dollars a month...

I only put down $10 for the sim card and put 30 minutes on it. It works for me.

Ill try restoring to 1.1.1 now then.
Cant afford 60 bucks a month but can front 400-600 for a phone? Maybe an iphone wasn't the best financial decision? I am not trying to be a jerk here, but I wonder what some people sacrifice to have an iphone sometimes.
trogdor! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 04:30 PM   #10
infinitethrill
macrumors regular

I am 16 years old, and don't need a phone unless I am driving or at college. Basically for emergencies, and 10 cent texts to whoever I need to communicate with.

We do have a family phone that my brothers and I share, and thats what I've been using. With 20 dollars to get a pay as you go card, it will last me a few months and then I can pay 10 dollars again. (then I don't have to carry a cell phone and an iPod with me).

I would rather save 2 years (Total of $1440), use my iPhone, and get something like a new MBP.

Sorry about going off topic, but Im still saving up $25 for that replacement sim card though.

Last edited by infinitethrill; Feb 20, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Brunz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I took it to the Apple store, and they said I need to have an active AT&T account for service on it.

I don't have my sim card (I lost it, dammit) so I need to get a replacement sim from the AT&T store, register in itunes, take it to the Apple store for service, get a fixed phone, cancel the AT&T plan, jailbreak and unlock new phone...

Still waiting on going to get a replacement sim card.

How much does it cost to activate the iphone and then cancel the activateion and the service to AT&T?
Brunz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:58 PM   #12
infinitethrill
macrumors regular

The whole shenanigan cost me $0.00.

I went to the AT&T store, and the guy gave me a sim card (punch out credit card type thing) for free, I registered it sitting at the genius bar, handed him my broken (and now registered with phone number phone), and I got a shiney new refurb iPhone! I just called AT&T, and canceled for free (within the first 3 days).

So, now I have a factory activated 1.1.3 iPhone. How do I go about unlocking and getting installer.app on there the easiest way?

Does anyone recommend waiting for the SDK update so I can go into it with a virgin iPhone?

Thanks!

Edit: already trying this out - http://modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php...eak_113_iPhone

Double Edit: Ok, its activated and jailbroken with installer.app, now I don't know what booloader it has (I cant find hw info in installer)

I have a week 05 iPhone (apparently), but Im not sure because its a refurb... Is there any easy ways to tell?

Tripeley Edit: It works! I now have an unlocked 1.1.3 shiney new iPhone! Thanks for all the help everyone!

Last edited by infinitethrill; Feb 25, 2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: triple

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting