Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Oct 21, 2003, 09:56 PM   #1
c2kvette
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to c2kvette
Talking Applied at Apple!

The Apple Store is coming to Charlotte, North Carolina and I applied - so excited I hope I get a position!
c2kvette is offline   0
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:32 PM   #2
theipodgod16
macrumors 6502

i hope you are over 18, i tried to apply for downtown sf, and they told me that you have to be 18 to work there. starting pay is also less than starbucks, at least here. (8 even compared to 8.50 at starbucks)
iPod Classic (160 GB)
theipodgod16 is offline   0
Old Oct 21, 2003, 11:11 PM   #3
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

I noticed that they were also looking for help in the Tokyo store, but I think it's too long a commute for most people here.

Good luck!
bousozoku is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:19 AM   #4
Horrortaxi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally posted by theipodgod16
i hope you are over 18, i tried to apply for downtown sf, and they told me that you have to be 18 to work there. starting pay is also less than starbucks, at least here. (8 even compared to 8.50 at starbucks)
I know where you can get a job that pays $8.50 with a BA! Makes Starbucks and Apple Store look like dream jobs.
Horrortaxi is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:43 AM   #5
Doctor Q
Administrator

See related thread
Old Oct 22, 2003, 01:21 AM   #6
Wardofsky
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I think the 50 cents that Apple misses is comensated by working around the best machines in the world
Wardofsky is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2003, 04:43 PM   #7
wrc fan
macrumors 65816

There are some people working at the Walnut Creek Apple Store that are still in high school. Whether they are 18 or older I don't know though.
wrc fan is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2003, 04:56 PM   #8
alia
macrumors 6502a

Maybe the $.50 is made up by the killer discounts Apple Store employees get. Then again... maybe not, since you probably end up spending you whole pay check there. :P

Alia
alia is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2003, 06:23 PM   #9
saabmp3
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to saabmp3
I work at an on campus job at college and don't make 8 bucks an hour. I'm happy to be working there too. Your not going to get rich off of this, but it's better than the 0 bucks an hour youd be making otherwise.

BEN
saabmp3 is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2003, 07:45 PM   #10
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
My Apple store pays $5.50 an hour, pretty low, but since I have done a lot of quality work for them I hope to get a raise soon.
I once did an onsite service at a school with 100 windows machines that all needed pathces, it was a lot of fun
Old Oct 23, 2003, 09:33 AM   #11
c2kvette
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally posted by Macmaniac
My Apple store pays $5.50 an hour, pretty low, but since I have done a lot of quality work for them I hope to get a raise soon.
$5.50 an hour, thats minimum wage. I'm 25 years old, work as a Graphic Designer for a large corporation - the only reason I want to work pt at the Apple Store is because I think I would enjoy it. But that won't happen for $5.50 an hour.
c2kvette is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2003, 09:53 AM   #12
aphexist
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to aphexist
Quote:
Originally posted by c2kvette
$5.50 an hour, thats minimum wage. I'm 25 years old, work as a Graphic Designer for a large corporation - the only reason I want to work pt at the Apple Store is because I think I would enjoy it. But that won't happen for $5.50 an hour.
You work at a large corporation (IBM, mayhaps?) as a graphic designer, as in getting to USE Macs to create from your own vision for at least $15/hr with benefits, and you would rather SELL Macs for $5.50/hr with no benefits other than an employee discount?

I'm just guessing here. Please fill in some blanks. Why are you excited about this?
aphexist is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:21 AM   #13
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
Question Working at the Apple Store....

I can't speak for the guy working in graphic arts who also wants a job at the Apple Store -- but I can understand the initial "draw" towards that type of work.

I've always worked with computers (well, except for my first job - which was telemarketing for a carpet cleaning place) - and until my current job, it's always been with PCs.

I used to love my old job, years ago, working for a "mom and pop" PC builder. I got to see all the new hardware and try it out first, was able to actually say "I built that!" when looking at machines customers purchased from us, and was always surrounded by people who shared my interest in computers.
They pay was never much good, but somehow - it didn't matter all that much, as long as the bills got paid. (Besides, you always knew your co-workers were just as under-paid as you, so you could have fun "blowing off steam" - complaining about it to each other.)

Then, I got one of those "career type jobs", working in an I.T. department for a corporation. The pay and benefits were great, but all the stress, office politics, pointless meetings and "employee reviews", and expectations that you work all sorts of overtime hours for free "since you're a salaried worker" weren't. I did it for 6 years, and near the end - I was completely burnt out. No matter how hard you tried, they only expected more from you the next time around - and systems kept getting more and more complex with each update/revision. Meanwhile, everyone's trying to do all of this with fewer workers than before - with the economy like it is.

Now, I work for a really small business, refurbishing older Macs and making them into great starter machines for preschool and grade-school age kids. Again, the pay isn't much to speak of, and benefits are non-existant - but some of the "fun" of computers is coming back to me again. When you visit a daycare center, bringing them a few replacement machines, and the kids' faces light up with excitement - that's my reminder it's all worthwhile.
kingtj is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:38 PM   #14
c2kvette
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally posted by aphexist
You work at a large corporation (IBM, mayhaps?) as a graphic designer, as in getting to USE Macs to create from your own vision for at least $15/hr with benefits, and you would rather SELL Macs for $5.50/hr with no benefits other than an employee discount?

I'm just guessing here. Please fill in some blanks. Why are you excited about this?
Well for one - it's not IBM. And I'm not planning on leaving my current job. I wanted to work part-time for Apple, maybe 3 days a week in the evenings, but like I said - not for $5.50 an hour - it wouldn't be worth my time.
c2kvette is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2003, 01:27 PM   #15
FuzzyBallz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What? There's no Apple store in SF. You talking about the CrapUSA? Man, that place is a dump.
FuzzyBallz is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2003, 02:01 PM   #16
Flowbee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
What? There's no Apple store in SF. You talking about the CrapUSA? Man, that place is a dump.
There's a new 'flagship' store coming to SF's Union Square area.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 05:18 PM   #17
aphexist
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to aphexist
Quote:
Originally posted by c2kvette
Well for one - it's not IBM. And I'm not planning on leaving my current job. I wanted to work part-time for Apple, maybe 3 days a week in the evenings, but like I said - not for $5.50 an hour - it wouldn't be worth my time.
Well, that might be cool. I work at a local bookstore 4 hours a week just to feel like I have a more visceral place in society than my office job provides (software development isn't always that rewarding). The pay is 1/10th of my full-time rate, but I like interacting with people and zoning out while shelving books...no thinking required.
aphexist is offline   0
Old Oct 23, 2003, 07:34 PM   #18
Fender2112
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Fender2112
Quote:
Originally posted by aphexist
<snip snip> and zoning out while shelving books...no thinking required.
Some folks don't realize how wonderful this can be. A lot of days I turn off my Nextel and put on my tool belt then find a quiet place to do some manual labor. Sometimes ignorance is blss.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 02:57 AM   #19
legion
macrumors 6502a

$5.50 in SF; that's pathetic in that market.

I used to help run retail stores across the country and we never dipped below $8.00/hr with most markets having average sales salary in the $9-$10 range (midwest averaged lower.) Getting talented people to work for you in most markets requires paying them what they're worth, and minimum wage doesn't cut it. Even though retail has a high turnover rate, you don't want the employees feeling undervalued (it leads to poor customer service, issues with loss prevention, etc.) It's sad that Apple is only paying min wage (if this is true) as the SF Union Square area (and the whole Bay Area) usually values employees with any knowledge more than that.
legion is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion