macrumors regular

Would this work?

Would this work in a MBA?
http://www.sandisk.com/OEM/ProductCa...A_5000_18.aspx

Anderson3133 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:35 AM   #2
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a

It appears to be the right size...not sure on connection/drivers/etc. How much can you get it for? Considering you'd potentially be voiding your warranty for 8GB of storage over the 64GB, I'm assuming it must be way cheaper than the $1k Apple wants.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:36 AM   #3
Anderson3133
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by overanalyzer View Post
It appears to be the right size...not sure on connection/drivers/etc.
Thats what I was worried about.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:41 AM   #4
Anderson3133
macrumors regular

Quote:
It appears to be the right size...not sure on connection/drivers/etc. How much can you get it for? Considering you'd potentially be voiding your warranty for 8GB of storage over the 64GB, I'm assuming it must be way cheaper than the $1k Apple wants.
Not to sure, just kind of looking around.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:46 AM   #5
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a

I'm having a really hard time finding out what model SSD the MBA uses. I'm wondering if it might actually be the SanDisk UATA, which maxes out at 64GB. I'd just be a bit surprised if they passed up the 72GB if it was an option, unless it was a lot more expensive. It just seems like the closer they get to offering an 80GB HDD or and ~80GB SDD, the easier it is for people to compare it and now have to weigh the loss of storage space, and therefore more readily pay to upgrade.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:49 AM   #6
Anderson3133
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm having a really hard time finding out what model SSD the MBA uses. I'm wondering if it might actually be the SanDisk UATA, which maxes out at 64GB. I'd just be a bit surprised if they passed up the 72GB if it was an option, unless it was a lot more expensive. It just seems like the closer they get to offering an 80GB HDD or and ~80GB SDD, the easier it is for people to compare it and now have to weigh the loss of storage space, and therefore more readily pay to upgrade.
Actually, i believe its the Samsung SSD Pata: IDE

http://www.samsungssd.com/ssd_produc...id_choice.html

Especially since the HDD should be easily swapped out, which is also a PATA
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:53 AM   #7
overanalyzer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson3133 View Post
Actually, i believe its the Samsung SSD Pata: IDE

http://www.samsungssd.com/ssd_produc...id_choice.html

Especially since the HDD should be easily swapped out, which is also a PATA
That's entirely possible and would explain the 64GB since that seems to be Samsung's max. Didn't the SanDisk not have PATA though? Or are they actually using the SATA connection?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:56 AM   #8
Anderson3133
macrumors regular

Quote:
That's entirely possible and would explain the 64GB since that seems to be Samsung's max. Didn't the SanDisk not have PATA though? Or are they actually using the SATA connection?
Just SATA

but I was looking around and Samsung are mass producing 128GB SSDs in the first quarter of the year.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air