Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 2, 2008, 10:49 AM   #1
ipodtouchy333
macrumors 65816

SSD Upgrade .. Help

Hello, I'm wondering if I bought a macbook air now before revision 2, if later I could switch out the 80gb hard drive for lets say a 128 SSD in like 6 months becasue the prices are going down. I have heard you can switch these out but will it void the warranty is my concern??? Thanks
ipodtouchy333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:17 AM   #2
jameskohn
macrumors 6502

www.thinkmacbookair.com

www.thinkmacbookair.com
jameskohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:25 AM   #3
switz
macrumors member

Apple can take the position that any alteration to the shipped unit voids their warranty. The only exception has been typically for systems that allowed user memory alterations. However, if there was a problem, one had to retain the originally shipped Apple memory to verify the non-Apple installed memory was not the culprit.

If you go to the iFixIt web site and see the details to disassemble the MBA, there are several opportunities to damage things. The hypothetical 128Gb SSD power use and heat release would need to be the same as or lower than the 80Gb Hd currently shipping. Also the thickness will have to be less than or equal to the 64 Gb SSD which implies the next generation of chips that will fit in the same form factor.

If Apple installs a 128Gb SSD in the future, one could pay their inflated price and possibly have an Apple store install it and that would protect your warranty.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:49 PM   #4
blairwillis
macrumors regular

>> The hypothetical 128Gb SSD power use and heat release would need to be the same as or lower

Not necessarily. I'm sure there's a decent margin of variation within the existing design.

Don't you think they'd plan at least that far ahead, so to be able to easily offer an "upgraded" revision B model in the near future?
blairwillis is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air