Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 2, 2008, 02:29 PM   #1
tkjazzer
macrumors 6502

What is the Mac equivalent to Microsoft OneNote?

Hey guys,

My girlfriend really wants and likes Microsoft one note but she only has a mac and hates being frustrated by having to run parallels, etc. She needs a program that works just like Microsoft OneNote but runs natively in the mac.

She wants to be able to click and drag Powerpoints slides, Microsoft word documents, drag an image from the web, resize it on the page, write notes in text boxes, etc etc etc.

Word is too difficult to take a PDF document and make it work easily in word.

I don't know how to help her since I would just run parallels and run it, but she gets frustrated by things going wrong with software and has little patience to try and fix it.

Please help,
thanks
tkjazzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Nermal

I've never used OneNote but I've heard that the notebook mode in Word is similar.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Jason S.
macrumors 6502a

She might want to look into OmniOutliner.

I believe it actually even comes on the Mac.
Jason S. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:28 PM   #4
gabrielm
macrumors newbie

Journler as great substitute

Hey all -

I've long be a microsoft onenote user on my pc at work and have been looking for something equivalent for my mac. I found this program:

http://www.journler.com

Its great! has most of the functionality, but there is no easy way to transfer your onenote files. Personally I don't use my work notes while I'm at home anyway, but I do like to document my thoughts, etc.. in a trusted system for personal stuff.

These guys are also working hard to update it and make it a killer product, especially recently, as they just started charged for licenses. If you ask me, its well worth it.

gabe
gabrielm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:08 PM   #5
tkjazzer
macrumors 6502

why can't mactopia people just get onenote for macs?
tkjazzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:11 PM   #6
Krafty
macrumors 601

Or she can get VMware, you can make programs run native on the desktop.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:18 PM   #7
pazreal
macrumors regular

Yeah I'd echo the support of OmniOutliner.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:08 PM   #8
HLdan
Banned

I guess no one knows about Circus Ponies Notebook. It's the number one note taking software designed exclusively for the Mac and it works well. They are at Macworld every single year.
There's a free download (trial) but it's $49., $29 for students. http://www.circusponies.com/
HLdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 01:03 PM   #9
DangerMouse6
macrumors newbie

The one thing that I haven't been able to find in any of the many note taking programs is something that the original author of this thread mentioned: Being able to write text in boxes.

In OneNote, you can write text wherever you want on the page. The page is not like a text page. To type something on the right side of the screen in OneNote you just click on the right side and type. Don't like it there? drag it down to the middle of the page. Then go to the bottom of the page and make a list. Drag that to the top right.

With these other programs, unless I am mistaken, you can type notes in either an outline format or a text editor format. If I wanted a sentence to be in the middle right of the page I would have to hit enter to get the cursor to the middle, then type, then justify it to the right. If I then decide to add something to the top of the page things get messy.

I may be overlooking this in one of the suggested programs and if so please let me know. With an overwhelming selection to choose from I wouldn't be surprised if I was.
DangerMouse6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:31 PM   #10
brand
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
Or she can get VMware, you can make programs run native on the desktop.
Unity is in no way native. It is still running in an emulated OS.
brand is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:36 PM   #11
iwuzbord
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to iwuzbord
mac journal seems to have what your looking for.

http://www.marinersoftware.com/sitepage.php?page=85

i havent used one note, but from what uve described, this app seems to fit.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 04:36 PM   #12
rhett7660
macrumors 604

What about something like this:

http://www.zengobi.com/products/curio/

It is more for organizing your ideas etc. I found this via a third party and they really like it. I have not used it yet but I am really looking into it.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 06:10 PM   #13
Cabbit
macrumors 68020

Strange that Microsoft would not port onenote that is basically a student application to the platform that most students use.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 06:58 PM   #14
NeoMayhem
macrumors 6502a

Word 2004/2008 have something just like onenote built in. It is even better then the windows version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	14047
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	132422  
NeoMayhem is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:10 PM   #15
sl1200mk2
macrumors 6502

It might be too different from what everyone wants, but after trying Evernote I've never given OneNote a second chance. I was a LONG time OneNote user using it constantly and for my needs EverNote just KILLS it. The ability to have all my notes sync'd across multiple devices / computers for free is just unbelievable. I can't think of being without this application at times.

Same as OneNote? No. Not exactly. Can it be used for many of the same tasks? Absolutely.

Give it a try... you probably won't regret it!

- Wayne
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:04 PM   #16
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMayhem View Post
Word 2004/2008 have something just like onenote built in. It is even better then the windows version.
I like the Windows version. Of course I also have tablet computer so it's not the same.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 03:02 AM   #17
goobimama
macrumors regular

Anyone tried Evernote? Really good and plus, it syncs so you can access it everywhere you go!
Old Aug 31, 2008, 09:04 AM   #18
benzslrpee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
Anyone tried Evernote? Really good and plus, it syncs so you can access it everywhere you go!
and how is that even remotely close to OneNote
benzslrpee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 03:11 AM   #19
goobimama
macrumors regular

^^ I'm sorry. I used OneNote like years ago and forgot what its main functions are. Just thought that evernote was something similar.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 03:28 PM   #20
MadMacz
macrumors newbie

OneNote

As an avid user of OneNote, Notebook mode in Office Word 2004/2008 is the closet I've seen thus far.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif
MadMacz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 09:56 AM   #21
ChandlerBob
macrumors newbie

OneNote for Mac

I use OneNote at work on a PC, but at home, to gain the same functionality, I use Curio by Zengobi. While Word 2004 does have the notebook format and the ability to record audio and video, it is too structured for me to use as my primary journaling tool. Curio has more features, plus more flexibility options and templates for the introverted right-brainers out there.

Evernote is great, but it 's now "in the air" and I don't like having to login to every time I want to use it. Curio can now synch with Evernote including the graphic text recognition, so the next time you login you can sync everything to work with Evernote or MobileMe. I've tried all of the programs noted above this post, but for me and my special set of needs, Curio tops the list. Oh, by the way... I emailed for support on a newbie issue, and -- get this -- I received a reply back on a Sunday :0)

I now keep all my journals in Curio, although I have OneNote at home as well. I run all my Win apps on Parallels, but after being a PC user since day one, I've now made the switch to Mac after the Intel offering appeard and Leopard was deployed. I heard a rumor that OneNote may be added to MS Office for Mac, but I'll wait and see if it tops Curio.

I especially love the Mac when doing photographic and video work -- seems to be a much more stable platform. Too bad Adobe hasn't ported Captivate to the Mac environment.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:18 PM   #22
Aeron
macrumors newbie

OneNote equivalent for mac....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I guess no one knows about Circus Ponies Notebook. It's the number one note taking software designed exclusively for the Mac and it works well. They are at Macworld every single year.
There's a free download (trial) but it's $49., $29 for students. http://www.circusponies.com/
I am also desperately seeking a mac equiv of OneNote... I am currently trying Circus Ponies Notebook and it's not even close.... with OneNote, you can plop any thing anywhere on any page. Not so with NB, which has these annoying cells that prevent you from putting things where you like on the page.

Anyone else have any suggestions for a OneNote for mac? It seems like a no-brainer to have something as user-friendly and intuitive on the mac......
Aeron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 07:35 AM   #23
johngw
macrumors newbie

more OneNote for Mac

just joined and very pleased to see ChandlerBob's highlighting Zengobi's Curio.
I work in a University ICT Innovations Centre and watch many students and teachers struggle to force software to behave as they would like: Intuitively.

And I really do not understand why others have not discovered the power of Curio. It shows how note-makers, outliners, eportfolios and research tools should work. Things would have been so much better and certainly easier if the developers of OneNote could have used Curio in the real world first. OneNote would not exist!
johngw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2009, 01:15 PM   #24
craible93
macrumors newbie

Circus Ponie's notebook is actually very similar to onenote. To make a text box anywhere just double click where you want it to be. Then you can drag it around just like in onenote
craible93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 08:57 PM   #25
das53
macrumors newbie

One Note for MAC

Yohimbe and SoHo Notes are the closest to One Note for Office.

SoHo notes is working on a snow leopard upgrade... not sure if Yohimbe works on snow leopard but both work with leopard
das53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store