Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Oct 22, 2003, 03:14 AM   #1
niallerc
macrumors member

Correct me if I'm wrong

Hi all

I've just been on to apple's tech support here in the emerad isle with a question regarding if panther is a free upgrade to the G5 that I ordered on release but only took delivery 2 weeks ago only to be informed that it was a free upgrade to Macs purchased after October 8th.

I doubt very much that apple would do this and I told the tech guy I thought he was wrong (considering I had to tell a tech guy in apple how to install an airport extreme card on saturday, I figured it out quicker than he did).

Anyway I got the standard answer "you'll have to talk to customer care and they won't be in till 9am" typical.

Is this true or has anyone run into the same scenario?
G3, 300mhz, 192mb
iMac 233, 512mb
7200 doorstop
niallerc is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2003, 04:09 AM   #2
jonapete2001
macrumors regular

Here is the official policy from apple web site
http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/uptodate/

Apple would like to give you the opportunity to upgrade to Mac OS X v10.3 “Panther” and Mac OS X Server version 10.3 for just £14 (UK) or €30.25 (Ireland) including VAT.

If you purchased a qualifying new Power Mac G5 (with part numbers M9020B/A, M9031B/A or M9032B/A) on or after August 16th, 2003, that did not include Mac OS X version 10.3 “Panther”, you are eligible to participate in this programme.

For New Macs (Except G5 Systems)
If you purchased a qualifying new Macintosh computer on or after October 8th, 2003, that did not include Mac OS X version 10.3 “Panther”, you are eligible to participate in this programme.

This is for the ireland store. I think that is the emerald isle.

I know that the U.S. offer is $20 to upgrade for these systems.($20=17 euros and 12 pounds) it sounds like the upgrade program is more expensive over seas.
jonapete2001 is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2003, 04:10 AM   #3
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to MacBandit
It's a free upgrade for all G5s.

You didn't have to go to the support boards simply to the up-to-date page on Apple site.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/
MacBandit is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2003, 04:12 AM   #4
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by jonapete2001
Here is the official policy from apple web site
[url]If you purchased a qualifying new Power Mac G5 (with part numbers M9020B/A, M9031B/A or M9032B/A) on or after August 16th, 2003, that did not include Mac OS X version 10.3 “Panther”, you are eligible to participate in this programme.
That's interesting that they have a start date for the G5s. Apples site here in the US that I linked above says regardless of date.

Quote:
I know that the U.S. offer is $20 to upgrade for these systems.($20=17 euros and 12 pounds) it sounds like the upgrade program is more expensive over seas.
Don't you have tariffs and taxes and such that raise the price on all import items?
MacBandit is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2003, 04:13 AM   #5
jonapete2001
macrumors regular

its not free. it is $20 dollars to us customers and varying rates for international mac users

I am from the us but i think i over looked that the rate for international customers includes vat(i think maybe this is taxes).

Also it is weird that their is a start date for g5 systems in the UK. When did apple actually start taking orders.

Last edited by jonapete2001; Oct 22, 2003 at 04:16 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 04:17 AM   #6
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Quote:
its not free. it is $20 dollars to us customers and varying rates for international mac users

I am from the us but i think i over looked that the rate for international customers includes vat(i think maybe this is taxes).
Just for your own information VAT stands for Value Added Tax. So in short yes, it is a tax.
MacBandit is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2003, 04:34 AM   #7
jonapete2001
macrumors regular

thanks for informing me about vat. Living in the US i have never come across that term before.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 05:48 AM   #8
niallerc
macrumors member

The G5 systems were on the apple store in the UK and Ireland at the same instant they were on the US Store. After screaming blue murder down the phone to an apple representative and getting the standard 8th October line I phone my supplier (who said he'll buy it for me anyway, nice chap) I ordered the day of release but technically didn't pay till October 3rd, gutted, 5 days before the deadline, talk about the luck of the Irish, me ar$e.
G3, 300mhz, 192mb
iMac 233, 512mb
7200 doorstop
niallerc is offline   0
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:49 PM   #9
MacBandit
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by niallerc
The G5 systems were on the apple store in the UK and Ireland at the same instant they were on the US Store. After screaming blue murder down the phone to an apple representative and getting the standard 8th October line I phone my supplier (who said he'll buy it for me anyway, nice chap) I ordered the day of release but technically didn't pay till October 3rd, gutted, 5 days before the deadline, talk about the luck of the Irish, me ar$e.
Have you even tried the up-to-date program? You're well within the time span put forth on the UK website.
MacBandit is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion