Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msizzle64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
How can i get Time Machine to back up my windows partition? time machine pref. won't let me delete it from the "don't backup" list. if its not possible, what other app can back it up? i know winclone can't (My disk is formated as FAT32)

Please Help:apple:

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Time Machine requires HFS+ formatted drives.

You can use Disk Utility Restore to create an image backup file (or "clone" to another drive).

skd

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
carmel, ca
can you please explain to me how to use Disk Utility Restore to create an image backup file (or "clone" to another drive) of my windows partition. Such as if I need to do this from an install disk, ect.
thanks

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Disk Utility is in your /Applications/Utilities folder.

To restore (clone) to another drive's partition:

Select your Windows partition, then the Restore tab.
Drag the Windows partition to the Source.
Drag your destination volume to the Destination.
Check "Erase destination", which will enable block copy.

To make an image file:

Select your Windows partition.
Click on "New Image".​

skd

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
carmel, ca
Do I make the image file first? and do I have to do the off the install disk?
and what does it mean when you say that "will enable block copy"
thanks for the help

skd

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
carmel, ca
when I went to create an image of my windows HD I clicked on new image and set the location to an external drive. After a minute of creating an image I got the prompt "unable to create "windows HD image (Input / output error)"
any ideas what went wrong?
thanks

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Do I make the image file first? and do I have to do the off the install disk?
and what does it mean when you say that "will enable block copy"
thanks for the help

Since you're not copying your boot volume, i.e. the Windows volume is inactive, you don't need to be booted from your install disk. (Wouldn't matter anyway, if you were booted to Windows, since you wouldn't be using Disk Utility).

Block copy is a logical block by block copy of the volume. Also, faster than file copy. To use this copy mode, it has to be able to unmount both the source and destination volumes, meaning you would need to boot off the install disk to do a restore backup of your boot drive. It won't apply when you make an image file.

Making an image file is very different from doing a restore copy. The first, creates file which contains an image of the source volume (like DMG). You can mount it and use it like regular hard-drive volume (except for booting). But, it's just a file.

Restore will make the destination volume look exactly like the source destination, and will erase the destination (using "Erase destination").

when I went to create an image of my windows HD I clicked on new image and set the location to an external drive. After a minute of creating an image I got the prompt "unable to create "windows HD image (Input / output error)"
any ideas what went wrong?
thanks

Not sure. Are there any special characters in the image file's name? How is the external drive formatted?

skd

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
carmel, ca
I really appreciate your help, but I'm very new to doing this......

special characters....don't know quite what you mean...

the external hard drive is formulated to have a mac and a windows partition -
I was trying to back up the image to the mac side of the partition.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I really appreciate your help, but I'm very new to doing this......

special characters....don't know quite what you mean...

the external hard drive is formulated to have a mac and a windows partition -
I was trying to back up the image to the mac side of the partition.

Just meant like symbols - some don't play well.

The external drive sounds fine, as long as it's large enough for the image file.

when i went to make the image, I did change the name from "Windows HD" to "Windows HD image"

Should be fine, either way.

cav719

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
MacFuse and NTFS-3G

Google MacFuse and NTFS-3G, it makes your windows partition writable. Then you can go into Time Machine and include in your backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.