Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timelord726

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Maryland, USA
I'm having a strange problem on my MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.5.1. Recently I have noticed that Spaces will become "broken" after waking up from sleep or after being left alone for a while.

What I mean by "broken" is that applications that normally change Spaces to get my attention can no longer do that, and also I am unable to change Spaces in any of the normal ways (clicking the Dock icon of an application in another Space, Ctrl+arrows, Ctrl+number).

To fix this problem, I have to click the Spaces icon in the Dock three times. The first two times, the icon is unresponsive. Only on the third click does the normal Spaces interface come up.

What is even stranger is that I recently reinstalled Mac OS X (for an unrelated reason), and while it worked fine at first, I have noticed it now doing the same thing again even after reformatting.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is there anything I can do to fix it? Or should I just wait for 10.5.2 and hope that it resolves my issue?

timelord726

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Maryland, USA
Well, 10.5.2 is now here, and I was very hopeful that it would fix the issue, but unfortunately it has not. If anything, Spaces become unresponsive even quicker than they did before since installing the update. This has happened across multiple installs of Mac OS X on this machine so I'm not sure what to try next. Does anyone have any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.