Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
It would be really pointless but whatever

take the parts in a macbook air..and put them inside a 20inch iMac..and make it super think...it would be pointless...but really thin?

what do you think?

and iMac that is less then an inch thick?

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
W/o going to the MBA well, they could use a 2.5 inch drive, make the optical an external feature, shift over to LED (or OLED in a few years) and use off the shelf CPU's and get the same effect. With that said, what would be the point, since it is a desktop. I'm sure some people move them around now and again - but not enough to warrant the changes needed to make it work.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
But but,... there would be no chin! Yay!

I quite like the chin actually lol. Back to the post: it WOULD be pointless to make such a computer. Usually, one doesn't carry a desktop around and wouldn't care about thinness. After a while, you would forget how thin it is anyways since you're always staring at just the screen.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Yeah I don't think it'd be an apple move to make a new imac with reduced specs for looks. Although thin is in for everything, doesn't make sense. In the future though I'm sure the imac will get thinner models, but with increased specs. MBA has a whole lotta use for its thinness and weight.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I never really understood why the iMac is so thick, the specs on a MacBook Pro are almost the same as an iMac and they can make it one inch thick the only drawback that I can think of would be a laptop disk drive.

eyemac74119

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2007
so frekin wierd i drew up my imac air up the other dayl ill see if i can find it and scan it in for everyone else

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.