Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:01 PM   #1
blaklaybul
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to blaklaybul
First Time Machine Backup Taking Very Long

It has been about an hour and it has only backed up 20GB of the 110 GB total. It has stopped a coupe of times throughout the process, only to start up again in a couple of minutes....

about how long does the first backup take? - considering it is doing 110 GB (839,361 files) over firewire 400
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:04 PM   #2
valdore
macrumors 65816

My initial backup took over 5 hours on USB 2.0. Of course subsequent backups only take a few seconds because Time Machine just logs the changes to the system since the last backup.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:44 PM   #3
itsallinurhead
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to itsallinurhead
It will take quite a while. No need to worry about it.
itsallinurhead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 03:41 AM   #4
flappo100
macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have the same problem - My Macbook Pro took just a few hours to backup 77gb up to Mac Server drive. My Macbook is taking forever to backup 43gb - been running for 3 hours this morning and is only done 800mb over 1gbit network.

Seems a bit strange.
flappo100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 05:03 AM   #5
Mr.Noisy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallinurhead View Post
It will take quite a while. No need to worry about it.
As quoted nothing to worry about, the first back up will take age's, after that it's a lot quicker, chill out, have a few beers while it's getting on with it, if your under drinking age, don't worry don't tell anyone
Old Mar 12, 2008, 01:46 PM   #6
LtRammstein
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to LtRammstein Send a message via MSN to LtRammstein
Since no one is really explaining why it's taking a long time, allow me.

1) It's making an exact copy of everything on your computer. (That includes system settings and what not).

2) It's creating a Time Machine readable/executable file for it's uses.

3) Moves the copied data into the Time Machine file.

Also, the better the hard drive you have, the faster it goes. My 200 GB backup took about 2 hours because I wasn't running anything along side it, and I have a LaCie d2 500 GB.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 01:03 PM   #7
trishb
macrumors newbie

Time Capsule first back up

I have just installed Time Capsule and during its initial back up it has frozen the computer twice and I have had to reset it to factory settings once. It doesnt want to work with ethernet cable PC ( iMac 2GHZ ) to TC for faster back up. It has 82GB to back up and it has taken all day to back up just 2GB. I am not using the TC as a wireless router so far. Is there something I can do to get a faster speed?

Thanks in advance.
trishb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:47 PM   #8
petey2254
macrumors newbie

856,840 days to back up time machine????

I set my MBP to back up to a wireless external hard drive. The first back up took a day. Now when it goes to "back up" as scheduled it shows a rash of errors. First, "can't find the back up drive". I stopped it from looking. Today it started again said 12 hours to complete. I left it alone and tonight I return home, it started again...856,840 DAYS is how long it shows to back up. What the hell is going on?

Help!!!???!!

Fairly new Mac user...
Mt Lion, MBP 2011
petey2254 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X