Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:29 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

MacBook Air has issues, says Apple

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: MacBook Air has issues, says Apple
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:41 PM   #2
uNext
Banned

hmmm of course it does..

whats with apple and 3rd party headphone adapters lately?
Kinda sucks if you ask me....

Rev 2 will be amazing.....every rev a from apple is full of issues.
uNext is offline   0
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
yeah some issues there, but none that seem really bad or anything
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:52 PM   #4
Mindflux
Banned

All the wireless 'problems' reported are differences between Draft-N specs. This isn't Apple's fault that they, or LinkSys, DLink, Belkin, Netgear and so forth have different ideas about how the N network should be handled.

Apple writes their stuff to work with how they think N should be, and so does everyone else?

Want N to work on your Apple product? Buy an Apple router.

Hopefully when IEEE has settled on a specification then everyone can flash up to Spec-N and these problems won't exist.
Mindflux is offline   0
Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:00 PM   #5
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
All the wireless 'problems' reported are differences between Draft-N specs. This isn't Apple's fault that they, or LinkSys, DLink, Belkin, Netgear and so forth have different ideas about how the N network should be handled.

Apple writes their stuff to work with how they think N should be, and so does everyone else?

Want N to work on your Apple product? Buy an Apple router.

Hopefully when IEEE has settled on a specification then everyone can flash up to Spec-N and these problems won't exist.
That's a very good point but I wonder how true it really is.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -- Martin Luther
QuarterSwede is offline   0
Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:03 PM   #6
SciTeach
macrumors regular

Not surprising...since when has come out with a product that didn't have some issues. I've learned personally (Powerbook G4 400 & iMac G5 1.8) that it is always best to wait for the revision.
SciTeach is offline   0
Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:29 PM   #7
philbeeney
macrumors 6502

Quote:
As with other recently-revamped Macs, the MacBook Air comes with one additional warning: "The Mac OS X 10.5 installation media that shipped with your MacBook Air is designed for use on this computer only and not intended for any other computer. The installer prevents this software from being installed on other Macintosh computers. Furthermore, other Mac OS X 10.5 installation media should not be used when restoring the system software on your MacBook Air."
Is this the first time Apple have created a separate version of OS X for any Mac.? Leopard runs on every version of the Mac except the MacBook Air.

I can see this causing confusion for the general public especially if they have to purchase a different version of Leopard. Aren't Apple starting down the same road that Microsoft have done with Vista by having different versions of Leopard.

Or will Apple resolve all of this within the next few point updates of Leopard.?
philbeeney is offline   0
Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:44 PM   #8
r76h23h78
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbeeney View Post
Is this the first time Apple have created a separate version of OS X for any Mac.? Leopard runs on every version of the Mac except the MacBook Air.

I can see this causing confusion for the general public especially if they have to purchase a different version of Leopard. Aren't Apple starting down the same road that Microsoft have done with Vista by having different versions of Leopard.

Or will Apple resolve all of this within the next few point updates of Leopard.?

Apple didn't great a special version of Leopard for the Macbook Air. Basically, the disks that come with the Macbook Air contain drivers that weren't included in the retail Leopard disk, as those were created much earlier than the Macbook Air.

If someone were to install Leopard from a retail disk onto the Macbook Air, so features may not work correctly. When the next OS is released, people will be able to use the retail disks to upgrade their Macbook Air, as those disks will include all of the drivers already.

This is similar to why Tiger could not be installed on Intel Macs with the retail disk. The retail disk didn't support Intel processors, but the Leopard retail disk does.
r76h23h78 is offline   0
Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:55 PM   #9
profiteor
macrumors member

Quote:

No, I think the 2006 Mac Pro had a special Tiger when it was new. Happens when they introduce a new Mac that needs newer drivers than the released OS.
MacBook Air 1,1 1.8GHz/2GB/SSD
and the PowerBook/MacBook museum...
profiteor is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2008, 12:29 AM   #10
MikeTheC

At the risk of being attacked for expressing my opinions here on this...

Why in the world would Apple stake the MBA's functionality (which is very highly centered around it's wireless capabilities) on a WiFi standard which hasn't even been ratified yet?

I mean, is it really killing people out there to not have N? Heck, I don't even have an N router. Do most businesses? Do most people? I'm not in any way trying to say Apple shouldn't be forward-looking. But the problem here is that Apple is trying to push a solution based on something that's kind of still semi-vaporware. That's not an entirely wise thing to do, IMHO.
MikeTheC is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2008, 04:50 AM   #11
nagromme
macrumors G4

Way to turn a few obvious tech notes--like things that can cause WiFi interference--into Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt

For those who don't feel like reading words put into Apple's mouth, I'll give away what you really want to know: no defects have been discovered in the MacBook Air. This article contains no new information.

The "issues" are doozies such as reminding you that Mac install discs are made for a specific model, so don't use an install disc from another model. Another "issue" tells us that if you get fewer WiFi signal strength bars, that also means slower WiFi speeds

Nice sensationalist headline, though. Imagine how some people will be falling all over themselves to learn what's wrong with the machine they love to hate.... only to discover nothing behind the headline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheC View Post

Why in the world would Apple stake the MBA's functionality (which is very highly centered around it's wireless capabilities) on a WiFi standard which hasn't even been ratified yet?

I mean, is it really killing people out there to not have N? Heck, I don't even have an N router. Do most businesses? Do most people? I'm not in any way trying to say Apple shouldn't be forward-looking. But the problem here is that Apple is trying to push a solution based on something that's kind of still semi-vaporware. That's not an entirely wise thing to do, IMHO.
Note: the MacBook Air supports A, B and G as well. N is not required.

And Apple's whole line does support N, as do many third-party products, and N is the future. N is a very legitimate feature to tout, and with AirPort Extreme I'll be enjoying it myself.

I think Apple will weather this lack of wisdom

If you think N is the basis for the product, you may be looking at it with a very narrow focus. Wireless--N or otherwise--allows the REAL basis of the product: being thin and light. I'll install software--once--over WiFi and not much care how fast it goes. I'll throw the disc on a shelf and forget it afterwards. Ditto for migration: you do it ONCE. If I did care a lot about optical speed, though, I'd remember that reading optical discs is not the fastest data transfer on the planet anyway. I wouldn't worry about WiFi being a terrible bottleneck. And if I still couldn't stand it, I'd buy the optical drive

Last edited by devilot; Feb 4, 2008 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Merged posts; please use "Edit" and/or "Quote"
nagromme is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2008, 05:33 AM   #12
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Nope. Leopard is a 'reference' release - it runs on every* Mac released before it. Any Mac released after Leopard will have it's own custom Leopard build (what the differences are, I don't know. Mostly drivers, I'd guess); and these changes will be rolled into the next reference release - whatever cat that might be.

(* every recent Mac that meets the requirements, that is!)
Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:24 AM   #13
Airforce
macrumors 6502a

MacBook Air has issues, says Apple

I saw this interesting article this morning on google news:link

Your thoughts?
Airforce is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:34 AM   #14
matt4077
macrumors member

Nothing too serious or new. As long as wireless works fine under normal conditions I should be ok.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:39 AM   #15
andyokay
macrumors newbie

This just in: Macbook Air spreads AIDS and eats babies.
andyokay is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:40 AM   #16
TheNorthWaves
macrumors 6502

I'll wait for the second revision and keep my G4-667 powerbook lol. I think the MBA would annoy me more than anything. It is pretty though.
TheNorthWaves is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2008, 07:40 AM   #17
elppa
macrumors 68040

FUD is exactly what I thought when I saw this. I mean you could produce a similar article for just about any computer or electrical device going.

I won't just leap to the defence of any Apple device for the sake of it, but I think it's silly to ignore what is basically a hatchet job.

Last edited by elppa; Feb 4, 2008 at 08:13 AM.
elppa is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2008, 08:05 AM   #18
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
-/-snip-/-
Thank goodness for nagromme. The voice of reason as always.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 09:43 AM   #19
macFanDave
macrumors 6502a

I just saw and used a MacBook Air in person

this weekend at my local Apple Store.

Unbelievable!!

I was stunned at exactly how beautiful, light and thin it is!

My computer habits don't require that I move very much, but if I had to, I would certainly get one.
macFanDave is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2008, 09:44 AM   #20
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
re: Wireless n

The most important reason for adoption of wireless "n" is the greater throughput it should provide for streaming video. Right now, I have a D-Link wireless "n" router at home, but my Playstation 3 only has wireless "g" integrated in it. That's really unfortunate, because at wireless "g" speeds, I can't stream movies to it to play on my TV without them occasionally pausing or "hiccuping" because it is just *slightly* too slow feeding data to it.

(Actually, some work and some don't - but the ones that stream properly tend to be encoded at lower bit-rates, so have a lower quality picture.)

As much as Apple has an interest in serving and displaying video streams these days, it makes perfect sense to me they'd be on the cutting edge with faster wireless standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheC View Post

kingtj is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2008, 09:53 AM   #21
rjwill246
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to rjwill246
Yet another "non-article" from New Zealand

The NZ ComputerWorld and NZ Herald just won't stop taking bites out of Apple... even when it is simply restating tech notes already noted from Apple, they spin it into "Apple has produced really bad stuff."

The MS grip on government and industry in NZ is frightening.
rjwill246 is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:54 AM   #22
mrsebastian
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mrsebastian
networking issues on a mac laptop, surely you can't be serious?!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:29 PM   #23
kirk5
macrumors newbie

Quote:

My MacBook Pro (whatever the first rev was from almost two years ago) came with a version of Tiger than only ran on it. I had to get the logic board replaced, and Apple Support sent me another version of the MacBook Pro-only version of Tiger with the newer firmware.

Remember the system disk that comes with a new Mac is more than just the OS, it has specific diagnostics and other stuff that is specific to the model that is shipped.

Now that I think of it, I think my PowerBook G4 came with its own version of Jaguar. Of course, the retail Tiger disk worked fine on it, just like I suspect whatever comes after Leopard will work just fin on an Air.
kirk5 is offline   0
Old Feb 4, 2008, 06:21 PM   #24
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernboy View Post
Thank goodness for nagromme. The voice of reason as always.
I tend to agree.

Also people are forgetting that the MBA has only be available for the last few weeks, it's a very new product so of course there will be teething problems.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:12 AM   #25
tirerim
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by r76h23h78 View Post
Apple didn't great a special version of Leopard for the Macbook Air. Basically, the disks that come with the Macbook Air contain drivers that weren't included in the retail Leopard disk, as those were created much earlier than the Macbook Air.

If someone were to install Leopard from a retail disk onto the Macbook Air, so features may not work correctly. When the next OS is released, people will be able to use the retail disks to upgrade their Macbook Air, as those disks will include all of the drivers already.

This is similar to why Tiger could not be installed on Intel Macs with the retail disk. The retail disk didn't support Intel processors, but the Leopard retail disk does.
IIrc, they eventually started putting the version of Tiger that supported Intel Macs (10.4.6, maybe? somewhere around there) on retail disks, too. I'm sure they'll do the same with Leopard at some point. They don't change the retail box with every update, but they do do that more often than every major release.
tirerim is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion