Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrJnC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Has anyone had the chance to travel yet with the MBA on an airliner? In the past, I've always had to be extra careful about how close the top of the MB screen was to the rotary clip for securing the tray table.

If you had the MBA on a airline tray table, would you be confident that if the person in front of you reclined, that the clip wouldn't snag the MBA display?

profiteor

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Just got my MBA, so I don't know for sure, but given the problems I've had with the MacBook, and they have the same footprint... put it on your lap in economy if you're not sure ;)

cowpaintings

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Sorry to ask a stupid question, but could those who have had problems traveling with their MacBooks cite the specific problems/damage done? I always traveled with my 12"powerbook and never had any problems-till I fell asleep and knocked it off of the couch for over the 50th time. As of last week, RIP 12" PB...

profiteor

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Sorry to ask a stupid question, but could those who have had problems traveling with their MacBooks cite the specific problems/damage done? I always traveled with my 12"powerbook and never had any problems-till I fell asleep and knocked it off of the couch for over the 50th time. As of last week, RIP 12" PB...

Depends on the seat and the plane, but typically in economy, the MacBook is a marginal fit. If the person in front reclines, the screen can't go back all the way; if the guy reclines after you've opened your unsuspecting laptop... there could be some problems.

cowpaintings

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
When people have experienced this is it the uncomforted factor of working with an angled screen or have computers become broken or at least jammed from inconsiderate passenngers in front of mb users? I can see where the angle of incindence may of banged more than a few laptops; i'm just wondering if it was a breakage or irritation problem...

I just went to france next to a rather sweaty guy in a tank top during the winter-so I can easily deal with irritation...hehe

toomuchmac

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Colorado
I never had a problem with my (now retired) 15" PowerBook G4. I am traveling tomorrow (got the new MBA just in time) and now you all have me worried the screen will get snapped off.

Airline trays were one of the reasons I never moved up to a 17" and since I always did ok, even with a 15", I would have to imagine that a 13" would fit a little better.

We shall see...

mrJnC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Depends on the seat and the plane, but typically in economy, the MacBook is a marginal fit. If the person in front reclines, the screen can't go back all the way; if the guy reclines after you've opened your unsuspecting laptop... there could be some problems.

Yup, this has been my experience as well and the motivation for posing the question. While the MBA is thinner than the MB, it's thickest bit is back by the screen hinge.

Perhaps if there's photos of opened MBA and MB that are arranged back-to-back, we can judge the screen height.

profiteor

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Yup, this has been my experience as well and the motivation for posing the question. While the MBA is thinner than the MB, it's thickest bit is back by the screen hinge.

Perhaps if there's photos of opened MBA and MB that are arranged back-to-back, we can judge the screen height.

Just a moment here...

Sadly, they are the same height (actually the MBA is a touch taller). Surprised me when I did this.

Attachments

• IMG_0266.JPG
    IMG_0266.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 186

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
I just took the MBA on a trip from SFO to Hartford, CT. Now, I'm not your average owner, I'm a professional speaker who always travels with two lappys. Since I couldn't trust the MBA yet to fulfill my main presentation's job as a speaker (it wasn't ready for a gig yesterday, but today I will find out for sure because I needed an MPEG player plug-in to play my Keynote vids), I had to bring my MacBook in addition to my Sony TZ.

You should have seen the TSA screener's surprise when I whipped out three lappys at SFO's security checkpoint! :eek: :D

Now, mind you, I almost always travel business class, so I'm totally skewed in my opinion, but you can take it for what it's worth. *Even* in U.S. business class (not international airlines, of course, those have so much more space), the MBA is too big. A cool chick in front of me, which are rare indeed in business class :p, leaned back suddenly and almost cracked my LCD display in half! :eek::eek::eek: I luckily moved quickly enough but I can see that if you're half asleep and dozing off, someone is going to have their MBA crushed by the next person, in the near future! :rolleyes:

And dealing with airlines is not easy. I recently had an Iberia flight attendant spill wine on a six-week old Sony TZ and she ruined the keyboard. Had to ship it back to Japan to have it fixed. Iberia said they would pay for damages, but so far they have ignored both a registered and overnight claim letters, ***holes! :(

Anyway, so besides the too-big form factor, I would also note that the MBA suffers from a short battery life to make it the ideal travel companion. At it's lowest display setting and with Wi-Fi turned off, I was barely able to eek out 3.5 hours of use. :eek:

That need will go away when I pick up my airplane adapter this weekend, which I foolishly forgot to buy on Monday, but still, the MBA gets wiped out in that department by the Sony TZ. Then again the TZ doesn't run OS X cleanly, has no backlit keyboard and certainly is no match in the comfy keyboard department, and forget wireless back-up! :eek:

That I could carry three lappys in my Swiss Army bag is a testament to the light weight of the TZ and MBA, but not the MacBook because that's a friggen boat anchor compared to the former two! ;)

So, phuleeze Steve, just get yourself some bifocal contact lenses and give us that 12-inch MacBook we so desparately want. Footprint is the MBA's most serious shortcoming, if you're always near a powered seat. I hope this helps! :cool:

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
i htought I read somewhere that the MBA comes with an airline adapter? is that a separate part?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.