Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Couldn't see this posted anywhere else, so according to the shirt-pocket blog, it looks like the Leopard version of SuperDuper may release tomorrow. Yay!

Quote: For those about to ship… Monday, February 04, 2008
...we salute our testers, and the patience of our users.

It's going to be a SuperDuper! Tuesday.

UnQuote:

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
This is supposed to be SuperDuper + TimeMachine right? Like with bootable TimeMachine Backups?

I don't know anything about bootable Time Machine backups. I figure (rightly or wrongly) that this is the Leopard compatible version of what SuperDuper always has been

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
This is supposed to be SuperDuper + TimeMachine right? Like with bootable TimeMachine Backups?
I think this version is supposed to allow TM backups to reside on the same disk and partition as an SD clone without deleting them when you do an update. Normally SD removes anything on the target that is not on the source, which would remove all TM folders and backups. I don't think it has anything to do with bootable TM backups.

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
It'll be great to have this app all ready for Leopard. It really is a great tool.

I like how the blog calls it "SuperDuper Tuesday." (For those not located in the states, tomorrow is Super Tuesday when quite a few states put in their votes for President of the US.)

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
It's here! I am cloning my main drive right now. I was getting so tired of CCC constantly telling me the target disk was not available when it was right there all the time. Plus, I never did trust CCC's "smart copy" equivalent; it always seemed to copy far more than was really changed. I have sued SuperDuper! for years and have developed a trust; I hope 2.5 doesn't let me down.

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
This is great news. I've been waiting for this release. I know some folks who've been using the previous versions with Leopard but I just didn't feel comfortable until an official Leopard compatible release came out.

Now I can tell Time Machine to go to sleep and stay that way. I don't need both.

JWFerne

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2006
I haven't used SuperDuper. It sounds like it does the same think or closely what Time Machine does. Why would it be needed over or instead of Time Machine?

I'm sure there's a good reason, i just don't know what it is since I don't use it. I'm a big believer in backups, so I'd love to know.

Cheers

Retired
May 16, 2006
I haven't used SuperDuper. It sounds like it does the same think or closely what Time Machine does. Why would it be needed over or instead of Time Machine?

I'm sure there's a good reason, i just don't know what it is since I don't use it. I'm a big believer in backups, so I'd love to know.

Cheers

The backups from SD! are directly bootable without a Leopard disk (image)

JNB

macrumors 604

Cheers

Although both are backup solutions, SD & TM are completely different. TM captures a baseline, then incremental snapshots of the changes that can be restored discretely for any point in time that TM has been active. SD, on the other hand, maintains a periodic updating clone, that is, you have a perfect copy of the entire environment as of the latest update.

TM allows for restoration of individual files, apps, emails, etc, that have been deleted months earlier, while SD is what you have now. For example, if I delete an email today, SD's backup tomorrow morning will also have that email deleted from it, whereas TM will allow me to recover the email in a few months if I suddenly need it again.

kfordham281

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007

Cheers

Bootable backups. If your HDD crashes just book from your SD backup. Sending your Mac out for repairs? Plug your SD backup into a similar Mac and you're up and running with your data.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Bootable backups. If your HDD crashes just book from your SD backup. Sending your Mac out for repairs? Plug your SD backup into a similar Mac and you're up and running with your data.
My son does that when he comes home from school for breaks. He just brings his SD cloned hdd with him and plugs it into a Mac here at home, and he is up and running immediately with all of his data. Then he just reverses the clone when he gets back to school and all of his data is back on his own Mac. That is something you can't do (or at least not without a lot of hassle) with Windows or even Linux.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
SD! has repeatedly saved my life. Really pleased to see an update for Leopard compatibility.

I have 'Do Something When' installed which triggers SD's regular backup automatically whenever my backup disk is connected.

I've coupled SD with WinClone to cover my BootCamp partition. That's another great backup utility which any BootCamp user should look into!

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Unfortunately I got an error on my first scheduled Smart Update last night. It appears that the update went OK but the "Making Disk Bootable" aborted during the script. I sent feedback to shirt-pocket.

durija

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I don't think I can shell out for another large external after getting one (500 GB) for Time Machine. My iMac has the 320 GB drive. I have a smaller external (120 GB) I could use if the backup is compressed sufficiently. So is the SD backup compressed in any way, or is it a literal clone that will use up exactly as much space as my iMac?

kudukudu

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
If you don't use the "prepare for restoring on a different partition" option (I don't like the idea of selecting an option that mucks with the current file system as part of making an image/backup), can Winclone restore the image to a replacement drive of a different manufacturer/size as long as it is in the same location (e.g. /dev/disk1s3). The use case I am thinking of here is the hard drive where bootcamp resides dies and I need to buy a new one.

This quote from the following article makes me uneasy:

"Prepare for restoring on a different partition: If you’re using Winclone to move a Boot Camp partition to a different volume, check this. Omit this option only if you’ll be restoring to the same partition (in other words, if you’re using the clone as a backup). However, note that when using this option, Winclone actually modifies the existing NTFS filesystem on your Boot Camp partition; if the process is interrupted—for example, if the power goes out or your computer crashes—you could lose data on the Boot Camp partition".

http://www.macworld.com/article/131253/2007/12/winclone.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.