Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nc7r

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Hi,

I've had my iPhone for a little over a week, however know the product pretty well.

I'm using my MBP and garageband to concert my iTunes MP3 files in to ringtones which are under 40 seconds, most around 33-35 secs.

After opening the MP3 file in Garageband, making a loop, exporting to iTunes and successfully adding it to my Ringtones area I sync it up. I try to copy all of the ringtones across, as such:

1e24ac.jpg

Then have a quick look under the Ringtones tab once it's told me it's copied, just to check they're there okay:

2880e6.jpg

Yup they're there alright. I checked they played okay and they're fine. Then I looked at the information on the files individually to check they looked the same and OK:

3e55a0.jpg

Looks fine to me..

Then I looked on my iPhone, under contact ringtones, as well as timers and everywhere else it lists all the available ringtones, but I see this:

46ff51.jpg

I listened to all of them, and they aren't just renamed wrong, it's when I add a new ringtone, it duplicated a previous one. I've had about 4 different ones on at once which is really annoying!

Any ideas?

dpw84

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
If you have it set to manually manage music and video you cant move one at a time. You have to highlight all of the ringtones you want and then drag them into your iPhone

dupdup

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
I have not tried the above solution. But when I had this problem what worked for me was setting BOTH ringtones and Music to auto sync. For some reason setting just ringtones to autosync did not do it for me. I have one playlist for all music on my iphone and I drag to it w/o problems.

roadrash

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
New York
I was also suffering from this problem but dupdup's suggestion has fixed it. I did have to go through all my music again to make a playlist to automatically sync with the iphone, which took a while, but now I have more than one ringtone and no duplicates. thanks for the help

nc7r

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
The thing is, I don't want to have to have it manage all my music, I enjoy manually managing my music.

braid333

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
I want my ringtones!!!

If you have it set to manually manage music and video you cant move one at a time. You have to highlight all of the ringtones you want and then drag them into your iPhone

This did not work for me. I cannot figure this out. What is garageband and do I need it to fix my ringtone problem?

amk131313

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
Bug Workaround

Ok, I found a way to manually manage my iPhone and get rid of the duplication bug. I don't know WHY it works, but it has worked for me 100% of the time. After selecting to manually manage my iPhone I deleted all the ringtones on my phone (since they were all duplicates anyway) and started from scratch. I disconnected my phone, reconnected and then dragged ONE ringtone in. After the phone synced I disconnected again, reconnected again and dragged in ONE ringtone again. The result: no duplication. I now have around 10 ringtones on my phone and have not had a single duplicate. The important thing is to disconnect and reconnect your phone and only add one ringtone each time. If you don't want to manage your stuff manually you'll have to find your own way, but this should work for those of you who like to manage it by hand. Good luck!

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Hmmm...I tried this method but it doesn't work for me. I still get the same duplication problem. Anyone got anymore suggestions?

RoboHaXX

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
I saw a post on another board where the OP said that if he created multiple ringtones in garageband, all within the same garageband project, duplication would occur. Did you create all these ringtones during a single session with garageband, utilizing the same project?

CaptTrousers

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
I tried this last night and it didnt work for me either. I am still getting the duplicated ringtones. At this point I just leave one ringtone on my phone at a time and change it every couple days. Hopefully the next software update will fix...

:(

mullet

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2003
B'klyn
Thus far, I haven't been able to find a solution. I'm in the same boat as everyone who manually manages music, etc. on their iPhone -- I can't get more than 5 custom ringtones on the phone before I start getting duplicates. I'm hoping iPhone software version 2 solves this issue.

~mullet

alfredog1976

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
For those who have FW 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 and a jailbroken iPhone, the following alternate solution works well with no duplicates (Posted from other ringtone thread).

Just SSH into your iPhone and copy your ringtones to your default ringtones directory. The filename will be used as the title for the Ringtone in your "Default Ringtone" list. For example, "test.m4r" will be called "test" in Settings->Sounds->Ringtone->Standard. Make sure to use files with only the ".m4r" extension and of course under 30 seconds.

Also keep in mind, if you haven't used BossTools, you are copying your ringtones to a smaller partition (not the partition where your music and videos are stored, which is a lot bigger) so in theory you can eventually run out of space. Use BossTools to move your default ringtones directory to the bigger partition if you wish ("/Library/Ringtones" will link to "/var/Ringtones" after using BossTools).

zivilipirati

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2008
Solution For Manually Menaging Ringtones

Ok, here is the solution that worked for me EVERY TIME when menaging Ringtones and all of the iPhone/iTunes Content (Music, Photos, Videos, etc..) MANUALLY !!!

I got Vista Ultimate64, iTunes 8.0.0.1 or somthing, its the Latest iTunes Version though.
iPhone 3G FW v2.1. (8Gig if that matters)

I Use iRinger (its freeware for Windows at least, not sure for if there is iRinger for Mac, here is the link: http://www.iringer.net/) to make a Ringtone no longer then 30 seconds. Once made here is how to get all ringtones managed manually and not duplicate same ringtone.

To avoid getting same duplicated ringtone, have your ringtones all Drugged in to Ringtones under iTunes Library first, from a folder on you PC, then select ALL of them (highlight with Shift down arrow or Ctrl Clicking) and drug them all into the Name of you iPhone under Devices! ta-na all works as it should. Here iTunes will recognized them all at once and make the differences between each, and they will all appear normally and individually, no more duplicate of same ringtone.

>So if you drug one by one from Ringtones Folder from iTunes Library, and/or directly from PC folder - in grup or one by one, IT WILL NOT WORK.

:D:D:D Enjoy, Brought to you by Brother Serb.;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.