Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:50 PM   #1
ManWithAPlan
macrumors member

OSX Server Allows Basic functions as well?

Guys,

I am waiting on delivery of a new MacPro with Leopard Server on it. It will be my first OSX server, though I've administered other servers for years. I got it mostly for the wiki server and qt streaming server capabilities, though other stuff is interesting too (dns, mail, vpn, etc.)

Quick question - am I correct in assuming that I'll still be able to run the same OSX apps like iTunes, iPhoto, Aperture, FCE, etc. on this machine even though I am also using it as a family server? Also, will VMWare's Fusion run just fine on here too?

Thanks, much appreciated, I look forward to the machine arriving!

Cheers!
ManWithAPlan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Sky Blue

Other apps are fine not sure about Fusion, but I don't see why that would be a problem.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:58 PM   #3
tersono
macrumors 68000

Yes, although it's a trick or two to install iLife on OS X Server - it's doable, though - there's an old thread on osxhints that goes through the options.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:10 PM   #4
mmcxiiad
macrumors regular

another tip is you may not want to log in everyday with an account that has administrative privileges. if you install something and it asks for an admin user/pass, you can use the server admin account to authenticate the process. This helps to prevent that you don't accidently do something to the entire server while just doing day-to-day things.
mmcxiiad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:32 PM   #5
xparaparafreakx
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to xparaparafreakx Send a message via MSN to xparaparafreakx Send a message via Yahoo to xparaparafreakx Send a message via Skype™ to xparaparafreakx
Yep you can do all the normal stuff on an OS X Server as long you don't affect your users that connect to your server.
xparaparafreakx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 08:37 PM   #6
ManWithAPlan
macrumors member

Thanks guys, good to know! I just reviewd my order again from Apple and it included iLife suite, so they must allow it now under Leopard. I also ordered Aperture to be loaded BTO, and FCE and iWork. So, they should have stopped me during the order if it can't be done, and they definitely didn't stop me, so...

hopefully, all will be well here...fingers crossed a bit, but thanks!

Cheers!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:23 PM   #7
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWithAPlan View Post
Thanks guys, good to know! I just reviewd my order again from Apple and it included iLife suite, so they must allow it now under Leopard. I also ordered Aperture to be loaded BTO, and FCE and iWork. So, they should have stopped me during the order if it can't be done, and they definitely didn't stop me, so...

hopefully, all will be well here...fingers crossed a bit, but thanks!

Cheers!
awesome! just curious, what will you be using the server for? like the server part
Old Feb 5, 2008, 09:26 AM   #8
ManWithAPlan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodcc View Post
awesome! just curious, what will you be using the server for? like the server part
A variety of QT Streaming server, Apache server, wiki server, etc. Mostly for my family dispersed around the globe to communicate, share family video's, post to wiki/blog site, etc. I won't be doing any of the internal file/print sharing, open directory stuff, etc. It will mostly be serving for external networks.

I know there are like 3 choices when you set up your server the first time -standard, and 2 others i guess...what are the differences between each of these 3 options, I don't want to hose myself right out of the gate by making some decision that isn't easy to undo later on.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking