Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:13 PM   #1
darkpixie08
macrumors member

Mac Mini Ventilation

Currently using my mac mini as a media server in my family room. I have it in one of the cabinets in our entertainment center, and whenever we use it we have the cabinet door open. Is this going to be well ventilated enough, or do I need to move it so that it is outside the cabinet? Thanks.
darkpixie08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:20 PM   #2
FatSweatyBlldog
macrumors regular

Well, you know, that will depend on several things, like ambient room temp, and the processor load etc.

That said, the mini fan vents from the rear, so make sure that space is open. Also, try and have some clearance below the mini, as it draws some air from there (and definitely don't stack the mini on a receiver or other "hot" device, as the mini's own heatsink is on the bottom).

Anyway, it'll probably be fine, just get something like iStat to monitor temperature and load. If it's getting too hot regularly, get something like SMCfan control and up the default fan speed to keep it from ramping up on its own (i.e. set the fan speed to cool the computer constantly).

Good luck, I'm sure others will have some real-world experience with this type of application for your mini.
FatSweatyBlldog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 04:31 PM   #3
stukdog
macrumors 6502

The ventilation should be fine, especially since you have the door open when the Mac mini is actually in use.

Like the other poster said, just be sure to have space behind the mini so the fan can blow out the vent on the back.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini