Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blaklaybul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
New York City
If i have everything on my computer backed up on a hard drive with time machine, can I reinstall Tiger, then Install leopard through erase and install (I have the Up to Date disc) and just put all of my stuff back onto my computer?

I wish to do this because it has been a while since my computer has been a blank slate. I wish to have the "fresh" feeling again of an unused computer

blaklaybul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
New York City
I know, but I wish to just put all of my documents, pictures, movies, etc on a clean hard drive. I would need the Tiger discs to reinstall iLife. All other applications I have discs for, so I dont mind reinstalling all that stuff at a later date.

Would my initial idea allow me to do this?

mediaguru

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2006
The middle of BentFork, TN
I know, but I wish to just put all of my documents, pictures, movies, etc on a clean hard drive. I would need the Tiger discs to reinstall iLife. All other applications I have discs for, so I dont mind reinstalling all that stuff at a later date.

Yes, though if I wanted to accomplish this I would still install Leopard first onto a clean drive. If you don't want to restore your files and settings exactly as they were at last backup, you can pick and choose files to restore to your new setup out of the "Latest" folder on your time machine volume. As far as installing the older version of iLife from your computer's restore discs, you can run the installer from the second disc.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia

Your time machine backup would normally include all your applications that were installed at the time of the backup.

Just restore straight from the leopard install disk and all your apps will be restored along with everything else.

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Your time machine backup would normally include all your applications that were installed at the time of the backup.

Just restore straight from the leopard install disk and all your apps will be restored along with everything else.
Agreed, this should work.

If you're really looking for pristine clean, do an erase and install of Leopard from the Leopard DVD, then put in your Mac software disc (disc 1) and run the "Install Bundled Software Only" package, and then you will be able to choose what you want installed (such as iLife). You'll need disc 2 to install iLife, however (and the installer will inform you of this during the process).

From there you can re-install your other applications (you can find these at sites like MacUpdate.com and VersionTracker.com), and put your data back on by using Time Machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.