Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
The fans were quiet this am, even called support because th were not showing on istat, for some reason they are running 6200 for no reason just surfing....from the first 5 minutes that i start to surf////

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Do we know for a fact that iStat is properly reading the fan speed on MBAs? Considering how new these machines are, it wouldn't surprise me if iStat is telling us little white lies...

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
Do we know for a fact that iStat is properly reading the fan speed on MBAs? Considering how new these machines are, it wouldn't surprise me if iStat is telling us little white lies...

Cybergypsy told me about istat and I installed it. My fan is saying 2500 temp 55-56 fans have never ramped on mine. So, not sure if she has a problem or not But lighted keyboard stays on a lot on mine

Konquest

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Mine did the same thing when I first turned on my MBA. Try letting it sit for awhile it should go back down to 2400 rpm

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
SMCFanControl is another great utility that will not only tell you the speed of your fans, but let you control their speed. I use it on MBP to cool it down when it's on my lap and I don't care if the fans are loud.

It seems to work fine my MBA and I have to say the fans crank up alot more than they ever did on my MBP. But when the laptop is idle it is pretty quite.

jameskohn

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2006
Connecticut
Spotlight indexing may be the culprit; sounds like a bunch of folks had the same fan issue once at the very beginning and then it just went away, just as mine did.

Cyber: thanks for running your thread, it's been fun. I never knew I had the heart of a geek!

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Spotlight indexing may be the culprit; sounds like a bunch of folks had the same fan issue once at the very beginning and then it just went away, just as mine did.

Cyber: thanks for running your thread, it's been fun. I never knew I had the heart of a geek!
I agree, it's probably the Spotlight indexing that was the culprit. My fans were pegged for a few hours, but since then (even while copying a lot of music files over) they've been stable at 2500 or so RPM.

samkhazary

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
My fan was going nuts running at 6200/6300 RPM even after i finished copying files, closed out of all apps, and let it sit there for 45 minutes... the cpu was at 53degrees...

You could hear the fan in the other room...

Mr.Green

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
EWR
My fan has been going at full for nearly 20 hours now. The left side of the computer feels warm as well, so the cooling is probably working as intended. I just wish it didn't have to use it so much.

I'm running my normal applications for work... Safari, Mail, Fireworks CS3, VMWare running Windows XP, iChat, MSN Messenger, and Lotus Notes. Maybe that's too many? My Macbook Pro has 4Gb of memory and the fan would come on only occasionally doing the same thing.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Some web sites have flash banners that can somehow sap up to 100% of your processor.

Open Activity Monitor, change my processes to "All Processes", sort by CPU% usage. I suspect it's a flash banner.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
anyone see anything here

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    329.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    329.8 KB · Views: 104

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My fan has been going at full for nearly 20 hours now. The left side of the computer feels warm as well, so the cooling is probably working as intended. I just wish it didn't have to use it so much.

I'm running my normal applications for work... Safari, Mail, Fireworks CS3, VMWare running Windows XP, iChat, MSN Messenger, and Lotus Notes. Maybe that's too many? My Macbook Pro has 4Gb of memory and the fan would come on only occasionally doing the same thing.

VMWare running Windows XP is the problem... It actually takes a good amount of CPU...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.