Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

My sister is at the middle of her fourth year of Architecture studies.

She spends on average between 38 and 42 hours everyweek
designing on her laptop, sometimes a bit longer.

The HP laptop she owned called it quits last weekend.

My sister had up to $1,600 to buy a new computer.

My sister narrowed it down to two options: a MBP and a HP laptop.

The MBP costed around $2900, and the HP around $1,800 (Prices with Tax). Both computers had NVIDEA cards. (She said the computer needed to have that card to use a program called 3D-Max. She also uses AutoCAD most of the time).

My sister is in full schollarship. So my parents with regard to her, pay absolute no tuition. Even my parents said to her get the computer you feel you need at this moment, don´t worry about the price. (Lucky her, I always have to beg for extra help to cover my expenses).

Anyway. My sister went for the HP. She said, she may get the MBP in a year and half, after graduation, when she be working fulltime.

She saw that the HP was about 1,000 cheaper than the MBP.

I´ll be happy to post in the next 24 hours the HP model she purchase, so you can take a look at it and tell me if her purchase was really worth it.

The main reasons I write this post is because I´ll be starting a graduate degree in Urbanism, and I will also need to design. My idea is to sell my ibook and buy a Macbook, (I won´t have money for more). However, is hard to see an HP offering as much performance as a MBP for the price of a well-equipped Mac Book.

One of the main differences between the MB and the MBP, is that the MBP has these NVIDEA cards. Is it possible to have Mac Books with NVIDIA cards, perhaps that would attract more people like my sister and I to buy a Mac Book.

In advance thank you for your input, I´ll post the modell from HP. Unfortunately my sister is not around to tell me.

igmolinav

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
If the HP has equal or better stats (processor, memory, drivespace, graphics) than the MBP, costs a grand less, and she's used to XP/Vista, then it would be the better deal for her. It sounds like she's quite fine with Windows, having used the HP laptop throughout school, and I wouldn't recommend switching to an entirely different operating system in her fourth year of graduate study. A good computer stays out of your way without drawing attention to itself; if she wants the HP and doesn't want the MBP, I'd trust her judgement, since she's the one who'll have to use the computer for 40 hours a week.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
I had another post but it was erased:

My question was if the Mac Book could handle AutoCAD smoothly ??

Anderson3133

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Hi,

The MBP costed around $2900, and the HP around $1,800 (Prices with Tax). Both computers had NVIDEA cards. (She said the computer needed to have that card to use a program called 3D-Max. She also uses AutoCAD most of the time).

My sister is in full schollarship. So my parents with regard to her, pay absolute no tuition. Even my parents said to her get the computer you feel you need at this moment, don´t worry about the price. (Lucky her, I always have to beg for extra help to cover my expenses).

Anyway. My sister went for the HP. She said, she may get the MBP in a year and half, after graduation, when she be working fulltime.

I´ll be happy to post in the next 24 hours the HP model she purchase, so you can take a look at it and tell me if her purchase was really worth it.

The main reasons I write this post is because I´ll be starting a graduate degree in Urbanism, and I will also need to design. My idea is to sell my ibook and buy a Macbook, (I won´t have money for more). However, is hard to see an HP offering as much performance as a MBP for the price of a well-equipped Mac Book.

One of the main differences between the MB and the MBP, is that the MBP has these NVIDEA cards. Is it possible to have Mac Books with NVIDIA cards, perhaps that would attract more people like my sister and I to buy a Mac Book.

In advance thank you for your input, I´ll post the modell from HP. Unfortunately my sister is not around to tell me.

igmolinav

I don't want to sound like I am speaking complete blasphimy, BUT HP's are excellent computers. I personally love them, second to Apple products. If I didn't have the money to buy a MBP, I would (without even thinking twice) purchase an HP.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
My sister bought a Dell laptop over the summer, we upgraded everything and it was about $2,200. It suffered motherboard failure after 2 weeks so she returned it to Dell. After about 4 months of waiting for MB update, she bought a MB and she is very pleased.

Also remember....will she be using OS X or Windows? Buy a Mac of OS X, not Windows.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
Let your sister get what she's comfortable with. Perhaps she isn't ready to deal with a learning curve of moving to Apple. Also, she'd have to purchase all the software again for Apple if she didn't want to deal with Bootcamp, etc.

If I was here I'd go HP also. Computers aren't cheap, especially when you're in college.

ZacUSNYR

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I don't want to sound like I am speaking complete blasphimy, BUT HP's are excellent computers. I personally love them, second to Apple products. If I didn't have the money to buy a MBP, I would (without even thinking twice) purchase an HP.

:confused:

Maybe it's because I've done nothing but fix computers for the last 10 years - but i'd never think about buying an HP.

BigPana

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008

uuuhh....why?:confused:

BigPana

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
what is with people hating pc's .... they really are sometimes the best choice whether you believe it or not

man i hate statements like this

Dude, I'm on an HP right now!:D

I'm just wondering why he holds it in such high regard.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
what is with people hating pc's for no reason.....

man i hate statements like this

I'll say this. People I am around all the time talk about how they feel like throwing their PC's out the window. Not true with the mac users I know. The only who occasionally feels like that is me, when I get my wireless dropout.

HPs are good computers though (better than Dell, and probably the best PC's out there), and if you can bear with windows not "just working", you'll be fine.

BigPana

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
I'll say this. People I am around all the time talk about how they feel like throwing their PC's out the window. Not true with the mac users I know. The only who occasionally feels like that is me, when I get my wireless dropout.

HPs are good computers though (better than Dell, and probably the best PC's out there), and if you can bear with windows not "just working", you'll be fine.

Yeah, my comp I'm using right now may not be a piece of dookie, but I certainly don't love it.

barijazz

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
Hi,

igmolinav

I know this is something really insignificant but you keep spelling Nvidia wrong and it is pissing me off,

Some people just able to cope with the awesomeness of a mac. http://newslite.tv/2008/01/mac-users-have-different-brain.html This article says it all.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
What a terrible thing to say.

Why would you want a 4th year graduate student who depends on her computer to perform for her for 40 hours a week to switch to a completely novel operating system with completely novel software in the middle of the semester? The guy is right; she'd be far better off with a computer that resembled her old HP as much as possible, instead of buying an MBP.

barijazz

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
:confused:

Maybe it's because I've done nothing but fix computers for the last 10 years - but i'd never think about buying an HP.

Same here, my last PC (dell) started freezing up and shuting down. I was fed up and bought a macbook. I've never had a problem since.:D

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
You folks must have never had to send your macs in for service or had the worst PC machines ever constructed..

my week and a half old macbook pro is already in the shop getting the screen replaced because I couldn't deal with the ugly yellow tint on the bottom of the screen.

A windows PC in this instance has several benefits:

1. Better specs than (or at least comparable to) a Macbook Pro
2. Comes with a familiar OS that runs her required programs. If she got a mac, she would have to buy Windows on top of the higher cost for the computer itself so that she could run the programs she needs.
3. Lower price, even with student discounts, Apple's prices are higher than what most students can part with when there are so many other expenses associated with college life.

Apple farms out their computer construction to the lowest bidder in China, they don't use quality parts anymore, anyone would be crazy to own a mac notebook without Applecare. Now, I'm not saying that other manufacturers don't get their machines built as cheaply as possible, but imagine how much better macs would be if they weren't built by the lowest bidder, if every machine that rolls off the line was tested for quality before it got Apple's seal of approval... in my mind, that is the kind of computer that $2,000 should buy.

I really like Apple stuff, I stood in line to buy an iPhone on launch day and I've owned two macs in the last 6 months alone. A mac mini which I sold here to help me pay for my macbook Pro and my macbook pro and I love both machines, but Macs are not always the best computers.

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
What a terrible thing to say.

Arg, do I have to add, that the rendering software in the original post, 3d-max and auto cad, off the top of my head are windows only. I personally own a MacBook Pro and enjoy using OSX. Stability is the reason I have a mac, but that doesn't mean that I ditched using windows. There is still software that is primarily windows only. I still have a gaming rig to play games on; the mac has bootcamp for games as well. In her situation, she may not want to put the time into moving from windows over to a different environment. People are comfortable with environments (and OS's) they have used for a considerable amount of time.

Why would you want a 4th year graduate student who depends on her computer to perform for her for 40 hours a week to switch to a completely novel operating system with completely novel software in the middle of the semester? The guy is right; she'd be far better off with a computer that resembled her old HP as much as possible, instead of buying an MBP.

What I basically said to reply to that other person. I agree with what you said.

You folks must have never had to send your macs in for service or had the worst PC machines ever constructed..

my week and a half old macbook pro is already in the shop getting the screen replaced because I couldn't deal with the ugly yellow tint on the bottom of the screen.

A windows PC in this instance has several benefits:

1. Better specs than (or at least comparable to) a Macbook Pro
2. Comes with a familiar OS that runs her required programs. If she got a mac, she would have to buy Windows on top of the higher cost for the computer itself so that she could run the programs she needs.
3. Lower price, even with student discounts, Apple's prices are higher than what most students can part with when there are so many other expenses associated with college life.

Apple farms out their computer construction to the lowest bidder in China, they don't use quality parts anymore, anyone would be crazy to own a mac notebook without Applecare. Now, I'm not saying that other manufacturers don't get their machines built as cheaply as possible, but imagine how much better macs would be if they weren't built by the lowest bidder, if every machine that rolls off the line was tested for quality before it got Apple's seal of approval... in my mind, that is the kind of computer that $2,000 should buy.

I really like Apple stuff, I stood in line to buy an iPhone on launch day and I've owned two macs in the last 6 months alone. A mac mini which I sold here to help me pay for my macbook Pro and my macbook pro and I love both machines, but Macs are not always the best computers.

Agreed. There are many situations that a mac cannot fit into the software a person uses. The original poster mentions that she uses AutoCAD and 3d-max (do you mean 3ds max??). Those are both windows apps. This is better suited for a PC dedicated to windows, than using a apple laptop, which is much more suited to OSX (mainly in power management).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.