Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kirbdog

macrumors regular
Original poster
My 12" Powerbook is now out of warranty and want to upgrade the hard drive.
Has anyone done this upgrade? If so what issues do I need to watch out for.

I have already gone over the step by step instructions posted on iFixit and don't foresee any issues, but thought I would check to see if anyone here has any experience with this upgrade.

I was considering a new MacBook Pro but I and going back to school soon and am feeling frugal. For the 500 bucks I could sell this machine for I rather try squeeze some more life out of it. :) :apple:

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
only problem i had was with the keys on the keyboard. i took apart maybe 10 12" when i worked in IT last year. If possible, get a very skinny hex screw driver (i think they are hex...) and just un-screw the two screws with out taking the keys off. Make sure you grab the screws or you could drop them in the computer case. No big deal really, but can make for a unsetteling rattle.

Other than that their walk thru is very straight forward. Macs are easy to work with.

Just pray you never have the replace the screen on a 12" :mad: what a b*tch that was.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I upgraded the hdd on an iBook - Very similar process and a huge pain in the butt. In the end, it worked... But if I had to go back in time, i'd just pay someone else to do it...

augustgarage

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2007
My 12" Powerbook is now out of warranty and want to upgrade the hard drive.
Has anyone done this upgrade? If so what issues do I need to watch out for.

I have already gone over the step by step instructions posted on iFixit and don't foresee any issues, but thought I would check to see if anyone here has any experience with this upgrade.

I was considering a new MacBook Pro but I and going back to school soon and am feeling frugal. For the 500 bucks I could sell this machine for I rather try squeeze some more life out of it. :) :apple:

Use the appropriate tools, take your time, work carefully and you won't have a problem. I think the 12" is actually easier than the 15" to disassemble because it doesn't have a metal latch securing the upper case.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i've changed the drive on a 12" powerbook. wasn't too bad took maybe a half hour or so. use the guide from ifixit.com and get the right tools and take your time. its not super hard, just time consuming and requires you to be careful.

Designer1

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2008
I recently did it but had a bad experience with the power and mic connectors on the logic board. My PB came without a HDD so I immediately had to take it apart. It was fine until I got to the connectors, which would not separate. Unfortunately, the previous owner must have tugged at them a lot because I ended up separating them from the logic board:mad: It was pretty bad because I hardly pulled at the stupid things....

Anyway, I have since tried it again and it went great. So, just be careful and take your time. The guide is a great resource and I was able to get the hard drive in and everything back together in a half hour or so (the second time;))

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I used an iFixit guide when I replaced a HD on a 17 inch Powerbook, got the right tools, got organised (I used little colour coded DIY paper boxes to keep the different screws separated in case they got mixed up) and the process was actually more straightforward than I expected it to be.

As others say really, get the right tools, take your time and you should be fine - you'll know in your gut reading the guide if you are up to the task I think.

Kirbdog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Thanks for all the good advice. :)

I had to remove the screen before and it was not to difficult a task. So its not the first time I have got out the tools for this machine.

Now the second question is:
Can I install any Serial ATA 2.5" drive?
Or is there any drives that I should stay away from?

I am leaning toward a 250GB Western Digital 5400rpm HDD.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Its fairly easy, jut make sure you have the right tools, if not you might end up damaging one of the screws leaving the computer almost impossible to be opened. I took the hdd from an iBook to put it in my PB and holy jesus the iBook is tough to open! it has wayyyy to many screws and lids and metal covers (and I did it half blind-folded since ifixit.com didn't had the 1.33 version) The one thing you want to be extra careful is when removing the keys from the keyboard, they're a tad fragile, I messed up my F2 and F12 :( Good luck.

-Victor

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Thanks for all the good advice. :)

I had to remove the screen before and it was not to difficult a task. So its not the first time I have got out the tools for this machine.

Now the second question is:
Can I install any Serial ATA 2.5" drive?
Or is there any drives that I should stay away from?

I am leaning toward a 250GB Western Digital 5400rpm HDD.

Sorry I didn't see this post before, just the original one :eek: So Im posting two in a row.

Not really, PowerBooks use an Ultra ATA/100 (ATA-6) drive, look for that one specifically. Also, take your time when removing the screws in the hdd itself, they're very firmly screwed.

-Victor

berlugana

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
Yes you can!

Hi!
first of all, go to this address to download the instructions:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/...2-Inch-1-1-5-GHz-Hard-Drive-Replacement/548/1

Print them out twice. The first printout is for reading, the second to paste the screws and tiny pieces you remove. Then, follow carefully each step: there are very many screws. What I did was, at each stage of the process, pasting (using transparent tape) the screws I had removed to the corresponding picture of the instructions on the second printout. Thus, when I had to put everything back, all I had to do was following the instructions backwards, retrieving every screw and small part from the corresponding instruction I had pasted it on.

The advantage of this method is that you feel quite safe as you work, not being bothered with doubts as to whether you're mixing up parts. Of cours, there are some larger parts: the keyboard, the F1,F2, F11, F12 keys, the upper case, the memory case cover. But if you feel you might mix up these, you'd better not start the job...

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.