Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:45 PM   #1
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
How can I tell more about my G5?

I have recently acquired a PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8Ghz Desktop computer (I have decided to replace my MacBook Pro with this). I have read many articles about leaking G5s, G5s exploding due to the liquid cooling etc. I have heard many different stories ranging from Apple never made 1.8Ghz liquid cooled to all of them made past 2005 before Mac Pros were liquid cooled. And Apple made it hard to tell, and I am not ready to hack apart my G5 to find out what kind it is .

Question I have for you guys is, how can I tell that my Mac is air cooled, or if it is a liquid cooled death trap?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:54 PM   #2
newtech
macrumors 6502

LCS G5's have a sorbent blanket mounted to the power supply divider shield. Also the two CPU are on a single chasis with a radiator as opposed to seperate chasis with heat piped heat sinks for non LCS.

And in point of fact LCS was ONLY used on dual 2.5, dual 2.7 and quad 2.5.
newtech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:29 AM   #3
9Charms
macrumors regular

Yours is air cooled.

The only thing you should be worried about is which motherboard you have. The early dual 1.8's had 8 RAM slots and were better over the long run than the later ones. The later ones had 4 RAM slots and were less reliable, since they were based on the first iMac G5 motherboard. Remember the hoopla about those things failing?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:10 PM   #4
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
That's good to hear, I am happy to know this G5 will serve me for quite a few more years to come. However, I looked inside and there is that "single radiator" thing that the second post was talking about. I have heard a lot about those liquid cooled G5s that leaked.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:28 PM   #5
noodle654
macrumors 68000

I would love a PowerMac G5. Have fun with that baby!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:54 PM   #6
9Charms
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
That's good to hear, I am happy to know this G5 will serve me for quite a few more years to come. However, I looked inside and there is that "single radiator" thing that the second post was talking about. I have heard a lot about those liquid cooled G5s that leaked.
There is no "single radiator" you're probably staring at the heat sink for the G5 processor. Have a look here: http://g5.bhmm.net/

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs