Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Please oh Please let there be a drive upgrade soon. My wife laughed at me with her xbench opengl results against mine. She has the older Macbook which is smoking mine right now.

Any news of any new ones coming from intel/apple?

nadirturkman

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Same Problem

I bought a new MB Black 2.2 2GB Ram with the new intel GMA X3100 and i'm so disappointed at the opengl performance. Not just with the benchmark results but with the dock and exposé performance. With regular use you can actually see it drag and if you for example use toast, really it just doesn't work well. I've sent it to apple and they changed the motherboard, didn't make a difference. I've herd i'm not the only one with the same problem. Wish the 10.5.2 update will fix the problem. If not, i'm thinking of switching my MB for another one that works.

PS. I've formated it more then once.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
well, keep in mind x3100 is entry level graphic card, so is GMA 950, even if her is better in openGL at current stage, its not that much better in serious game anyway.

SO, relax.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
I didn't buy the Macbook for gaming. I don't do any gaming on my macs really, maybe Diablo 2 but thats about it. Its just lame when you switch spaces and it shows lag and tearing. And when you bring up the dashboard and your widgets skip 10 frames to eventually show up on your screen.

I wish intel/apple would hurry with the driver support.

nadirturkman

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
well, keep in mind x3100 is entry level graphic card, so is GMA 950, even if her is better in openGL at current stage, its not that much better in serious game anyway.

SO, relax.

Well i don't even game. Plus yes i know its an entry level one like the 950, but i had experience using old macbooks the 2,1 with the gma 950 and they never had this problem. I loved them.

I can't even imagine what gaming would be like with this x3100 if it's bad even with simple processes.. Like i said, i'll wait for the 10.5.2 update! i'm just trying to figure out if everyone with the same macbook has the same problem.

Just find it annoying to pay a big sum of money for a laptop and find out it's not working like it should or could..

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
hehe, leopard beta testers...... shouldn't have been released that hurry after all

djinn

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
I would think that Apple would put a little more push on the X3100 drivers since their pride and joy, the MBA, is now out in the open.

nadirturkman

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
Hi

Did anyone notice any difference with the graphisc performance after the 10.5.2 update and the Leopard Graphics Update? I didn't.. still think gma 950 runs better.

How about you?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hi

Did anyone notice any difference with the graphisc performance after the 10.5.2 update and the Leopard Graphics Update? I didn't.. still think gma 950 runs better.

How about you?

X3100 machines still have a very slow OpenGL XBench score compared with GMA 950 machines even after the 10.5.2 and Leopard Graphics updates.

nadirturkman

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
X3100 machines still have a very slow OpenGL XBench score compared with GMA 950 machines even after the 10.5.2 and Leopard Graphics updates.

Yeah that's what i thought! :'( I wonder how long it will take until the x3100 actually performes as it should .. it's a shame it kind of spoils this MacBook that otherwise is amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.