Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 5, 2008, 02:13 PM   #1
mhml92
macrumors member

moving files between OSX and windows in bootcamp

Hi i'm about to buy my first mac but unfortunately i need to use windows from time to time. So I am currently trying to figure out whether to go with virtulization or bootcamp.

So here is my question: Can OS X see the windows partition and if so can you move files without any problems?
mhml92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 02:16 PM   #2
Alfadoc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhml92 View Post
Hi i'm about to buy my first mac but unfortunately i need to use windows from time to time. So I am currently trying to figure out whether to go with virtulization or bootcamp.

So here is my question: Can OS X see the windows partition and if so can you move files without any problems?
Yes, I can see the Windows partition on my OS X desktop. I can drag and drop some files, such as jpegs, gifs and the like and use them in my OS X apps. For any Windows-specific files, you can't. I like Boot Camp and use it quite a bit. HTH.
1.42 G4 Mac Mini, 8GB iPhon
e
Alfadoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Jeremy1026
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Yes, but Windows can not see your OS X partition.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 03:30 PM   #4
mhml92
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026 View Post
Yes, but Windows can not see your OS X partition.
Okay (???) but is there some sort of clever apple application that allows you to do this then? or do I have to use a usb drive
mhml92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 03:44 PM   #5
tersono
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Okay (???) but is there some sort of clever apple application that allows you to do this then? or do I have to use a usb drive
Nothing by Apple, but MacDrive will do what you need.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 08:07 AM   #6
ZballZ
macrumors regular

I use bootcamp quite a bit; I have windows installed on a FAT32-formatted partition, and you can read/write all these files on OSX

On my desktop in OSX I have a few folders, that act as shortcuts directly to certain files on my WIN-partition. Like photos, documents, music etc. Thus; these files are easy accessible from either platform.

This works fine for me, dont have the need for any special apps. (as long as you keep your WIN-partition FAT32, and not NTFS.)
Old Feb 6, 2008, 08:13 AM   #7
Neil321
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZballZ View Post
I use bootcamp quite a bit; I have windows installed on a FAT32-formatted partition, and you can read/write all these files on OSX

On my desktop in OSX I have a few folders, that act as shortcuts directly to certain files on my WIN-partition. Like photos, documents, music etc. Thus; these files are easy accessible from either platform.

This works fine for me, dont have the need for any special apps. (as long as you keep your WIN-partition FAT32, and not NTFS.)
Yes but your stuck with a old file system and a 4GB file size limit
Old Feb 6, 2008, 08:19 AM   #8
riscy
macrumors 6502a

I don't transfer much but when I do, I just open the Windows folder on the Mac desktop and then go to:
Documents and Settings>AllUsers>Desktop
and drop files there, then when I boot into Windoze they are on the desktop. Same in reverse, just drop it on the desktop on PC side and I know where to find it.

Probably not the best way, but it works for me , and I don't need to use the PC much anyway.
riscy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:44 AM   #9
breakthesystem
macrumors newbie

4GB limit solved

When installing windows (i used windows xp pro sp2) you can actually format the Bootcamp drive to NTFS before proceding to the installation. Then just need to install NTFS app in your Mac OS X to read the windows files straight from Mac OS.

Here is the link to download NTFS 3G for mac, it's a freeware!
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...es/ntfs3g.html

Hope this helps

Macbook 13"3' 2.4Ghz, Snow Leopard
breakthesystem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:50 AM   #10
spinnerlys

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakthesystem View Post
When installing windows (i used windows xp pro sp2) you can actually format the Bootcamp drive to NTFS before proceding to the installation. Then just need to install NTFS app in your Mac OS X to read the windows files straight from Mac OS.

Here is the link to download NTFS 3G for mac, it's a freeware!
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...es/ntfs3g.html

Hope this helps

Macbook 13"3' 2.4Ghz, Snow Leopard
I don't know if you realised it yet, but the thread is two and a half years old.

And Mac OS X is capable of reading NTFS volumes just fine. NTFS-3G is meant for adding NTFS write capabilities to Mac OS X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
FAT32
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
  • No individual file larger than 4GB.
NTFSHFS
  • Read/Write HFS from native Mac OS X
  • To Read/Write HFS from Windows, Install MacDrive
  • To Read HFS (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 12:21 PM   #11
dmk1974
macrumors 68000

So I'm trying to figure out how to best set up my new MBP to read and write files when in SL and Boot Camp Win7.

Sounds like this NTFS-3G will allow me to read and write a NFTS partition while in SL. But what about when in Win7 and I want to read and write to the SL partition...can I do that automatically? Or do I need a special program to run while in Win7?

Or, should I make a 3rd partition on my MBP hard drive where I would then store all my files and then access that "files" partition from either OS? Thanks!
dmk1974 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store