Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
I am thinking about a solution to the problem fitting the Novatel Ovation USB727 in the Macbook Air's USB port.

I dont mind using the extension cable (as it does lessen the risk of breaking the USB port if jarred) but the monitor clip seems much too loose to attatch to the screen of the Air.

I have some rare earth magnets (diameter of 8mm or so) sitting around. I plan to glue one to the bottom of the USB727 and let it hold the modem in place behind the top edge of the Air's screen.

I took one to the Apple store today and noted that the only area it would stick to was a 1cm wide strip about 8cm in from the right corner along the top. I assume this is some type of internal frame, however I cant see what it might be in the ifixit teardown pics.

My question to anyone who has disassembled an Air, is this safe? Am I right in assuming that this is a frame and that it will be harmless to mount my USB727 this way over the long term?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.