Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChronoYu

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
When I first got my iMac, the empty trash sound worked perfectly. Now, for a few days already, it's suddenly disappeared! No matter how I empty the trash, the sound won't play! By the way, the sound that was default was the original sound that sounds like the crumpling of paper.
I'm actually quite fond of the empty trash sound. Please, does anyone know how I might fix this problem? I run Leopard by the way, and the problem isn't because of upgrading from Tiger to Leopard, because I didn't. I got my iMac with Leopard already in it.

shamrockinhard

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
I had the same issue and what worked for me was going to system preferences, then sound and under the sound effects tab checking the "play user interface sound effects" box

ChronoYu

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
The play user interface sound effect is ticked, and the volumes isn't muted, but the trash sound (and now I've noticed even the volume up and down sound) still goes off once in a while. Oh dear, it couldn't be that my mac is already having hardware or programming problems even before it's one year old?

ewilson6

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
Try resetting the Pram

reset Pram settings.

Follow these steps

Restart Computer

When you hear chimes hold P-R-Option-Apple at same time

Continue Holding keys until you hear computer Chime 4 times

After fourth time let up on keys

Your sound will be fully restored

Do this once every 6 months

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.