Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Feb 6, 2008, 09:34 AM   #1
rufus2102
macrumors newbie

Slow boot time after installing Leopard help needed

I have a IMAC Duo Core 2.0 with 4 Gigs of Ram and updated to Leopard 10.5.1 a few days ago, the load time is taking around 60 seconds which is really slow compared to my Tiger boot which was about 15-20 seconds. Nothing has changed on my Mac except Leopard, can anyone tell me if is this is normal for Leopard or how to speed the boot time up? Thanks.
rufus2102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:42 AM   #2
Amdahl
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus2102 View Post
I have a IMAC Duo Core 2.0 with 4 Gigs of Ram and updated to Leopard 10.5.1 a few days ago, the load time is taking around 60 seconds which is really slow compared to my Tiger boot which was about 15-20 seconds. Nothing has changed on my Mac except Leopard, can anyone tell me if is this is normal for Leopard or how to speed the boot time up? Thanks.
Many people report a slightly longer boot time, but that sounds excessive. Is it pausing for a long time(say, 30 seconds?) at the blue screen? That might indicate that something on your system is delaying the boot. Run the Console app, and review it right after a boot to see if any log entries might provide a clue. Or you could do an Archive & Install.

Your other options are to reboot a couple of times, reboot once in Safe Mode by holding Shift, wait for 10.5.2, or just wait in general and see if the system speeds up as it updates the hotfiles for the new operating system. Leave the system on for 2.5 days, sleeping allowed, and then reboot.

Make sure you've got at least a few gigs of free disc space.
Amdahl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 01:18 PM   #3
rufus2102
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdahl View Post
Many people report a slightly longer boot time, but that sounds excessive. Is it pausing for a long time(say, 30 seconds?) at the blue screen? That might indicate that something on your system is delaying the boot. Run the Console app, and review it right after a boot to see if any log entries might provide a clue. Or you could do an Archive & Install.

Your other options are to reboot a couple of times, reboot once in Safe Mode by holding Shift, wait for 10.5.2, or just wait in general and see if the system speeds up as it updates the hotfiles for the new operating system. Leave the system on for 2.5 days, sleeping allowed, and then reboot.

Make sure you've got at least a few gigs of free disc space.
Yes it is hanging at the blue boot screen. I will do what you suggest and see if that makes a difference. Thanks
rufus2102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:03 AM   #4
Enlade
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus2102 View Post
I had the same problem. It would take a very long time to boot. I ran the font manager (just double click on a font in the fonts folder System\Library\Fonts) and I ran the font check and found a few bad fonts. But I also noticed a lot of fonts that I know I just will never use. So, I went through each and disabled each that I would never use. Now when I rebooted the machine it started up just fine.

I also did a safe mode boot (hold shift key down during boot up...and it should ask you to log in as an administrator account). That boot up does a bit of work on the file system that could fix the problem for you as well.

I also did a boot to the installation CD. After you boot you can go into the tools section and run the Hard Drive manager. In there you can run a check and repair of the hard drives. I ran all those checks and repairs. You should try that as well.

However, in the end the problem for me ended up being bad fonts. Disabling the fonts I didn't need and the bad ones fixed it for me.
Enlade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:15 AM   #5
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

I've found that resetting PRAM can cure a slower than normal boot. To do this, just after your Mac turns on, hold down Command+Option+P+R. Your Mac will restart if you did this correctly. Continue holding the keys until it restarts 3 times, then let go.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X