Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rufus2102

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
I have a IMAC Duo Core 2.0 with 4 Gigs of Ram and updated to Leopard 10.5.1 a few days ago, the load time is taking around 60 seconds which is really slow compared to my Tiger boot which was about 15-20 seconds. Nothing has changed on my Mac except Leopard, can anyone tell me if is this is normal for Leopard or how to speed the boot time up? Thanks.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
I have a IMAC Duo Core 2.0 with 4 Gigs of Ram and updated to Leopard 10.5.1 a few days ago, the load time is taking around 60 seconds which is really slow compared to my Tiger boot which was about 15-20 seconds. Nothing has changed on my Mac except Leopard, can anyone tell me if is this is normal for Leopard or how to speed the boot time up? Thanks.

Many people report a slightly longer boot time, but that sounds excessive. Is it pausing for a long time(say, 30 seconds?) at the blue screen? That might indicate that something on your system is delaying the boot. Run the Console app, and review it right after a boot to see if any log entries might provide a clue. Or you could do an Archive & Install.

Your other options are to reboot a couple of times, reboot once in Safe Mode by holding Shift, wait for 10.5.2, or just wait in general and see if the system speeds up as it updates the hotfiles for the new operating system. Leave the system on for 2.5 days, sleeping allowed, and then reboot.

Make sure you've got at least a few gigs of free disc space.

rufus2102

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Many people report a slightly longer boot time, but that sounds excessive. Is it pausing for a long time(say, 30 seconds?) at the blue screen? That might indicate that something on your system is delaying the boot. Run the Console app, and review it right after a boot to see if any log entries might provide a clue. Or you could do an Archive & Install.

Your other options are to reboot a couple of times, reboot once in Safe Mode by holding Shift, wait for 10.5.2, or just wait in general and see if the system speeds up as it updates the hotfiles for the new operating system. Leave the system on for 2.5 days, sleeping allowed, and then reboot.

Make sure you've got at least a few gigs of free disc space.

Yes it is hanging at the blue boot screen. I will do what you suggest and see if that makes a difference. Thanks

Enlade

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008

I had the same problem. It would take a very long time to boot. I ran the font manager (just double click on a font in the fonts folder System\Library\Fonts) and I ran the font check and found a few bad fonts. But I also noticed a lot of fonts that I know I just will never use. So, I went through each and disabled each that I would never use. Now when I rebooted the machine it started up just fine.

I also did a safe mode boot (hold shift key down during boot up...and it should ask you to log in as an administrator account). That boot up does a bit of work on the file system that could fix the problem for you as well.

I also did a boot to the installation CD. After you boot you can go into the tools section and run the Hard Drive manager. In there you can run a check and repair of the hard drives. I ran all those checks and repairs. You should try that as well.

However, in the end the problem for me ended up being bad fonts. Disabling the fonts I didn't need and the bad ones fixed it for me.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've found that resetting PRAM can cure a slower than normal boot. To do this, just after your Mac turns on, hold down Command+Option+P+R. Your Mac will restart if you did this correctly. Continue holding the keys until it restarts 3 times, then let go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.