Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Feb 6, 2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Evangelion
macrumors 68040

Aperture: library, previews... how does it work?

I have been looking at various Aperture video-tutorials at apple.com. And one thing they talk about is the flexible library-management and previews that can save space on the HD.

Now, how that relates to me: I have a MBP, and I have a bunch of external hard-drives. Since I want to save HD-space, I would like to put my Aperture-library on the external HD. And that works just fine. But I would like to have those images available even when I'm out and about. And that's where previews come in. Since they are jpegs, they don't eat much space on the MBP's HD. Well, that's the idea at least... I just can't get this to work.

Now, the library is on the external HD. If I unplug that HD and launch Aperture, I have no images. None. And Aperture defaults back to my Pictures-folder. That's not what I want it to do. I want it to display the previews, while quietly ignoring the fact that the masters are not available. I have seen Apple tout this feature. So how do I make this work properly?

Is the problem the fact that I'm using Aperture-managed library, and not referenced images? I'm not sure why that should be a problem. But if it is, how do I turn my one big Aperture-library in to bunch of managed files and folders? That said, I would rather let Aperture manage the library for me.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 12:35 PM   #2
SilverL
macrumors member

To use Aperture in that mode, you are correct - the images have to live on an external drive and be referenced in projects.
You will have access to the previews but will need to reconnect to the original to edit and make any changes.
SilverL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 07:17 AM   #3
Evangelion
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverL View Post
To use Aperture in that mode, you are correct - the images have to live on an external drive and be referenced in projects.
You will have access to the previews but will need to reconnect to the original to edit and make any changes.
Damn, that's what I was afraid of. So then a follow-up question: what would be the simplest way to turn my current Aperture-managed library in to a bunch of referenced images on the external HD? Turning referenced images in to Aperture-managed libary is very easy with the "Consolidate Masters", but is it possible to reverse the process?

And this might be a dumb question but... Would backup-vaults still work with referenced images?

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography