Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

26theone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Is the iTunes Digital Copy option gaining traction? Why is importing a CD available now but DVDs slow in coming?

I've had numerous problems getting a DVD encoded to DVD like quality for my :apple:TV output to my 61" 1080p tv. Countless hours wasted on finding the right settings for the encode only to be disappointed with the result. They look fine on my ipod(s) but on the apple TV they are awful.

Ive used Magic DVD Ripper, Nero Recode 3, and Handbrake and so for I cant get DVD quality playback through my :apple:Tv.

Is the problem due to the size of my TV?

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Without knowing what settings you are using, I can't say for sure why you aren't getting the results you like. However, keep in mind that you are trying to upscale 480p to 1080p on a 61" screen. I think your solution lies with Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD if you like the underdog) and not with standard def DVDs.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
At the end of the year there should be more DVD's with digital copy.

What settings are you using for ripping? Also if you want HD go with HD DVD/Blu-Ray as DVD looks crap after ripping and then upscaling sometimes

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Is the iTunes Digital Copy option gaining traction?

It'll probably be awhile until this takes off. If it does.

Why is importing a CD available now but DVDs slow in coming?

The film industry has a very different take on protecting their property. They have instituted a very restrictive copy protection policy that the music industry did not.

I've had numerous problems getting a DVD encoded to DVD like quality for my :apple:TV output to my 61" 1080p tv. Countless hours wasted on finding the right settings for the encode only to be disappointed with the result. They look fine on my ipod(s) but on the apple TV they are awful.

I have a Samsung 57" DLP HDTV and my encodes are indistinguishable from DVDs. I use Handbrake (for the most part) with the Apple TV preset -- the Mac version.

Ive used Magic DVD Ripper, Nero Recode 3, and Handbrake and so for I cant get DVD quality playback through my :apple:Tv.

These are Windows programs (with Handbrake on both platforms). I have had experience with Magic DVD Ripper and found its results entirely unsatisfactory.

Is the problem due to the size of my TV?

No. Your problem is that the Windows programs you are using are not doing an adequate job for you.

Windows users: can you help him with Handbrake settings? Or with a decent encoding program?

HotRodGuy

macrumors regular
I tried DVDfab w/ Talladega Nights over and over this week trying different settings. I can't get anything to work w/o the audio being COMPLETELY out of synch by the middle of the movie.

Also, what settings are you guys using for DVDfab for the apple TV? I keep reading there is already an AppleTV profile, but can't find it ANYWHERE!

26theone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I've been a bit cranky as I recently spent $350 on the :apple:TV after reading on the :apple: website that I could watch rented movies on it. So get it home and no dice, wait for an update please.

I dont intend to purchase movies from iTunes currently because I need a physical copy for the car, etc. I really only want to rent them.

So I ripped a DVD to a single MPEG-2 file using Magic DVD Ripper. Watching the dvd on my PC looked basically like the original. 6+gb file size.

After that I gave Handbrake another try with using the MPEG2 rip as the sourcefile and using the AppleTV preset on Handbrake. I did select the 2nd pass option with turbo first pass but left everything else the defaults.

I also found that in my case I had to remove the spaces from the source file name (dvd rip) to get handbrake to work properly without crashing. Unix app I guess..;)

Tonight I will sync it up to the :apple:TV and see how it looks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.