Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After some initial confusion, iLounge received clarification from AT&T regarding the possibility of replacing your current iPhone with a 16GB one.
Mark Siegel, Executive Director of Media and Analyst Relations with AT&T, told iLounge in an email, “If you upgrade from an 8 to a 16 GB iPhone, you sign a new contract. However, we automatically backdate it to the starting point of your contract on the 8 GB phone.” He added that the company “will make every effort to ensure that our reps provide customers with the correct information,” and clarified that customers should activate the SIM card that comes with the new model.

Article Link

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
This makes no sense whatsoever. If I put my old SIM in, and throw the new one away, don't I just avoid this hassle altogether? I thought iPhones worked with any iTunes activated SIM--put it in and connect to iTunes.

Maybe they figure people will be too stupid to understand the paperclip SIM replacement diagram.

Do you normally sign a new (backdated) contract when upgrading your phone? Or is this an iPhone specific thing?

Usually, at least here in the U.S., people buy new phones subsidized, so the contract extension makes sense. But for most any company specific phone (AT&T locked in this case), or for any unlocked SIM phone, you just pop your SIM in and it works. No need to deal with the company at all if you're buying unsubsidized.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Note that O2 UK users don't need to sign a new contract if 'upgrading' from 8GB to 16GB (AKA buying another one and...well, getting rid of the other one somehow).

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
(AKA buying another one and...well, getting rid of the other one somehow).

Maybe that's the goal? With these "special SIMs" that ATT is using in the iPhone, this would make it easier to get rid of your old iPhone. But, what is the contract start date for the guy that you sell your phone to? Is it your old date as well or is it the date that he activates himself as the new owner (that would be kind of crappy - buy a used phone and still need to have a 2 years).

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
You need to get the phone past the activation screen. It is only going to get past that screen if you activate a new sim in it.

There are no special sim's in iPhone, it is the phone that would prevent you from swapping sims... not the practicality of it.

Once a US phone has been activated, any AT&T sim will work in it. Before it has been activated, no sim will work in it. You need to activate the new sim which makes the old one useless. That is why it is done like this.

To put it simply, your new 16gig phone will not get past the activation screen if you put an 8gig sim in it. It needs a fresh activation with a fresh sim.

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
When they say "Sign" a contract, do they actually mean "agree to" a contract without a signature?

Because if I asked my current provider (Rogers) to show me my signature on a contract, they might find the request a little... challenging. And yet they'll happily refer to the contract I allegedly signed if I try to make major changes to my plan or try to get out of it.

joecirca79

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2004
So Cal
Question...
If i give my wife my old iphone and i upgrade to the 16gb, what activation if any will she have to go through? She's currently on at&t.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Upgrade Cost = $499 for new iPhone - how much you get for your old iPhone on eBay
In my case, that would be $499 - $300 for the old phone I sold in a matter of hours on Craigslist. $200 to double my storage AND get a new phone in perfect condition is not a bad deal, as far as I am concerned.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
what will people do with their old phones? I hear you can't use them as ipods without them being activated. I assume they can be sold and someone else can reactivate it for a new contract?

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
A while ago I contacted At&t I was told that I could either get a new iphone (at that point not yet 16G) or downgrade to a phone of equal/less value without having to renew.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
Usually, at least here in the U.S., people buy new phones subsidized, so the contract extension makes sense. But for most any company specific phone (AT&T locked in this case), or for any unlocked SIM phone, you just pop your SIM in and it works. No need to deal with the company at all if you're buying unsubsidized.

Except in the case of the iPhone, apparently, since they're telling people to activate the new SIM and sign the new contract instead of swapping the old SIM to the new phone. That's what struck me as odd.

violaboy

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
not going to help my wife!

my wife wants an iphone and i'd love to give her my 8GB and get the 16GB, but i called ATT and they said that we'd have to start a new contract from the date of purchase of the new unit. :(
:apple:

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
my wife wants an iphone and i'd love to give her my 8GB and get the 16GB, but i called ATT and they said that we'd have to start a new contract from the date of purchase of the new unit. :(

I just re-read this and it seems like that makes sense...you're starting a new contract for the new phone, no? Or are you saying they said you'd have to start new contracts for both phones?

Jaunty

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
London, England

So you have one contract and want two? How will back dating your current contact help you? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.