Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:46 PM   #1
hauss316H
macrumors member

Apple TV and traveling

I am looking to purchase an apple tv in the next day or so and i have a good question. i do a fair bit of traveling for work and dont really have the need for a laptop but would like to take the apple tv with me to hotels to watch shows etc. i know the apple tv only has component/component hookups which will not work with regular tvs. is there a way to go from component to rca's by chance?
hauss316H is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 03:54 PM   #2
parkds
macrumors regular

What you are actually looking is for something to go from component to composit (RCA is a name for the plug type). There is no cheap option and I have no idea how well this actually works...but this solution seems to be made for the AppleTV:
http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html
parkds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 04:02 PM   #3
jbellanca
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauss316H View Post
I am looking to purchase an apple tv in the next day or so and i have a good question. i do a fair bit of traveling for work and dont really have the need for a laptop but would like to take the apple tv with me to hotels to watch shows etc. i know the apple tv only has component/component hookups which will not work with regular tvs. is there a way to go from component to rca's by chance?
I travel every week too, and bring my TV. My solution was to stay at Marriott's. They have HDMI and component hookups built into the walls where you just hook up whatever you want and it plays on the flat screen LCD TV in your room. I think only the full-service Marriott's have this though.

Last edited by jbellanca; Feb 6, 2008 at 10:30 PM.
jbellanca is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 04:18 PM   #4
hauss316H
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellanca View Post
I travel every week too, and bring my TV. My solution was to stay at Marriott's. They have HDMI and component hookups built into the walls where you just hook up whatever you want and it plays on the flat screen LDC TV in your room. I think only the full-service Marriott's have this though.
nice, my employer pays for the hotel in advance so i dont really have a say where i go
hauss316H is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 06:12 PM   #5
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Your better option would be to hook up an iPod to your hotel tv. It's much more portable and works just as good for this purpose.
ipedro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 12:40 AM   #6
consumedsoul
macrumors regular

Quality?

Can you get a decent resolution/quality from your iPod/iPhone etc.? I'm assuming you connect w/ the Apple composite kit, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
Your better option would be to hook up an iPod to your hotel tv. It's much more portable and works just as good for this purpose.
consumedsoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 11:17 AM   #7
rWally
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post
Can you get a decent resolution/quality from your iPod/iPhone etc.? I'm assuming you connect w/ the Apple composite kit, etc.?
It depends what settings you're using for your files but supposedly the ipod classics can handle up to 5000 kbps videos so quality wouldn't be an issue at all.
rWally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 02:49 PM   #8
slate1
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6) Alltel HTC Touch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rWally
Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post
It depends what settings you're using for your files but supposedly the ipod classics can handle up to 5000 kbps videos so quality wouldn't be an issue at all.
mine looks like total crap when hooked to a tv of any reasonable siz, not even vhs quality
slate1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 06:55 PM   #9
jammyf
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
Yep, I agree. I do this very often with an iPod Touch. And you have the added flexibility of watching on the plane.

Quality is pretty good with the composite cable.
jammyf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 08:17 PM   #10
JonHimself
macrumors 68000

Depending on how far you want to take it, with a program like Telekinesis (for iPhone/Touch) you can remotely access your home computer (assuming wifi is in the hotel) and stream all the video you want using the component/composite output cables. I do this so that I don't have to fill-up my phone with videos.
Old May 15, 2008, 08:21 PM   #11
JonHimself
macrumors 68000

Also, if you don't mind black and white, I think you can just hook up one of the three component cables (i think the green connector) to the yellow RCA jack of a composite connection as well as the two audio connectors and watch in black and white.
I can't guarantee this works, but I think it does.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 03:12 PM   #12
Tee Face
macrumors newbie

Update?

Have any of you purchased new ATV? I'm going to a Marriott as well and wondering if wireless connection will work between iPad and ATV operating on the hotels WiFi network? (I'm assuming that if the TV's had HDMI connections in 2008 they still do today so only concerned about my 2 devices working together).
Tee Face is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Cinephi1e
macrumors regular

Yes, theoretically you could do this, but it is unlikely to be a reliable. Hotel WiFi is usually too erratic to stream movies without hiccups. What I did was to purchase this adapter:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...apter?fnode=3a

Then all you need is an HDMI cable to connect your iPad or iPhone to the TV and you are set. No need to worry about connecting to WiFi.
Cinephi1e is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 08:56 AM   #14
colerc
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Face View Post
Have any of you purchased new ATV? I'm going to a Marriott as well and wondering if wireless connection will work between iPad and ATV operating on the hotels WiFi network? (I'm assuming that if the TV's had HDMI connections in 2008 they still do today so only concerned about my 2 devices working together).
This is usually a no-go -- not only are hotel wifi networks often slow and unreliable, but they may have firewalls or otherwise that will prevent your devices from seeing each other across the network. And, the biggest problem is that most hotel wifi (even when free) requires you to go to a log-in page where you accept terms and conditions and/or pay. The TV has no way of showing you that page, so there is no way to connect the TV to such a network (which is absurd, but such is the design choice Apple has made).

The best workaround in this situation is to plug your MacBook into the wired connection in the room and then have it create a wifi network and turn on Internet sharing. Then you can connect the iPad and TV to the network created by the Mac, and it should be able to stream content between the two. However, this of course doesn't work if you want to travel without your Mac (or if, like me, you have a Windows computer for work that you are more likely to be traveling with; in theory Windows can do the same thing but in my experience it is very difficult to get a Windows computer-broadcasted wifi network working).
colerc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater