Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 6, 2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Dingo Dave 69
macrumors regular

Apple TV in the UK

I am quite interested in appleTV and like the idea of renting the movies. However, the one thing that puts me off is that I am in the UK. The new software and movie rental idea appeals to me but whats the liklihood of this being as good in the UK as it will be in the US?

I recently bought an American copy of Family Guy, Blue Harvest, and even although I got my digital copy on disc I couldn't download it as I wasn't a US or Canadian resident. It got me thinking how much of a problem this will be in the uk. Also, why, release a digital copy but give you a disc to download it in the case of family guy?
Dingo Dave 69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 01:24 AM   #2
meckime
macrumors newbie

I had the same problem as I'm living in Switzerland.

Here is what you can do:
Open a new US-account in iTunes - just use a fake US address and either purchase iTunes Gift-cards in a US Apple retail store or get them from eBay.

I usually buy lots of iTunes gift cards when I'm in the US and download TV Shows and Movies to watch on my AppleTV.

Enjoy
-MeckiMe
meckime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:05 AM   #3
gazfocus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Dave 69 View Post
I am quite interested in appleTV and like the idea of renting the movies. However, the one thing that puts me off is that I am in the UK. The new software and movie rental idea appeals to me but whats the liklihood of this being as good in the UK as it will be in the US?

I recently bought an American copy of Family Guy, Blue Harvest, and even although I got my digital copy on disc I couldn't download it as I wasn't a US or Canadian resident. It got me thinking how much of a problem this will be in the uk. Also, why, release a digital copy but give you a disc to download it in the case of family guy?
I started the same thread as this a while ago. I was advised to buy a US iTunes Gift Card off ebay.com (not .co.uk), and when you redeem it, it asks you to register a US iTunes account (use an address for a US hotel or something).

I did this, now have approximately $80 in my US iTunes account, my AppleTV arrived this morning (as you can currently buy one from the refurb store for ú135), and I'm loving it.

Hope this helps
gazfocus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:15 AM   #4
spleenboy
macrumors newbie

Apologies for bumping such an old topic, but I couldn't find anything more recent.

Does the above procedure still work? I bought my ATV today and am looking forward to setting up tonight!

Thanks in advance
spleenboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:53 PM   #5
tom1971
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleenboy View Post
Apologies for bumping such an old topic, but I couldn't find anything more recent.

Does the above procedure still work? I bought my ATV today and am looking forward to setting up tonight!

Thanks in advance
Yes, it still works.
tom1971 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:33 PM   #6
woolyback
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazfocus View Post
I started the same thread as this a while ago. I was advised to buy a US iTunes Gift Card off ebay.com (not .co.uk), and when you redeem it, it asks you to register a US iTunes account (use an address for a US hotel or something).
I've wondered about this for a while and it stopped me buying vouchers last time I was in the States as I wasn't sure I'd be able to use them;

If I did the above, can I put the US purchases into the same iTunes library as my UK iTunes account uses, or will I end up with 2 separate libraries ?

OR, if I buy via the TV using the US vouchers, will I be able to sync purchases back to my normal (UK) library/account ?
woolyback is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 01:50 PM   #7
shotts56
macrumors 6502

You have one library, but two separate itunes accounts (one for the UK and one for the US). Anything you buy goes into your one library, regardless of where you buy it from

The only thing you have to watch out for is that any devices you sync to (ie ipod, iphone, apple tv), the itunes store on that device will be the one you are logged into when you last sync'd. The only way you can change it on the device is to log into the other on your PC and then re-sync.

You will also have two different balances for your two accounts, a US$ balance of your US account for use in the US store, and a UKú balance for use on the UK store.

Otherwise, it is a simple and flawless process.
shotts56 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 06:55 PM   #8
spleenboy
macrumors newbie

Great stuff, thanks guys.

I read that it's worth using a component connection as HDMI won't play US content on a UK ATV - is this also correct?
spleenboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 05:56 AM   #9
shotts56
macrumors 6502

Incorrect. I'm in the UK playing stuff downloaded from the US store, and my Apple TV is connected to my TV with a HDMI cable with no problems at all.

Hope this helps, and all the best.
shotts56 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 11:00 AM   #10
hvfsl
macrumors 68000

I would be careful with ebay, if you know someone that lives in the US, you are better off getting from them.

A lot of the vouchers on ebay are bought with stolen credit cards, so when the credit card company finds out, they tell Apple and Apple in turn takes the money out of your itunes account.
Media Centre - 3Ghz i3 G5500 BluRay Windows 7
hvfsl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 01:40 PM   #11
baronbuzby
macrumors regular

I have rented several films in the Uk, and it works very well.
http://iconfessimageek.com
baronbuzby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 06:20 AM   #12
rball1979
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvfsl View Post
I would be careful with ebay, if you know someone that lives in the US, you are better off getting from them.

A lot of the vouchers on ebay are bought with stolen credit cards, so when the credit card company finds out, they tell Apple and Apple in turn takes the money out of your itunes account.
Last I heard eBay have stopped all itunes gift card sales on their site....
rball1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 05:41 PM   #13
Gee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rball1979 View Post
Last I heard eBay have stopped all itunes gift card sales on their site....
I bought mine from a website called itunes planet .com. It looks a bit basic, but it's legit.
Gee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:54 AM   #14
danunwin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotts56 View Post
You have one library, but two separate itunes accounts (one for the UK and one for the US). Anything you buy goes into your one library, regardless of where you buy it from

The only thing you have to watch out for is that any devices you sync to (ie ipod, iphone, apple tv), the itunes store on that device will be the one you are logged into when you last sync'd. The only way you can change it on the device is to log into the other on your PC and then re-sync.

You will also have two different balances for your two accounts, a US$ balance of your US account for use in the US store, and a UKú balance for use on the UK store.

Otherwise, it is a simple and flawless process.
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to mac so "Hi to everyone"

Just a thought on the above, I've set up my US account but read somewhere else that it's best to stay as discreet as possible in relation to Apple realising your not in the US.

Is there any feed back sent to Apple about what account is on what PC? especially when it comes to authorising the PC to use the account.

Thanks
danunwin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater