Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timberline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I'm a designer and recently converted to a Mac.

When I bought my Mac, I downloaded the Photoshop CS3 trial from Adobe's website to hold me over until I was able to purchase CS3. 30 days later, my trial runs out, as expected. I dish out the dough and purchase CS3 Design Premium from my school and install it.

However, when I went to install it, it said that Photoshop was already installed and so I installed the rest of the suite. Afterwards, I opened up the Photoshop trial to type in my key, but it said it was invalid. It was the same key that I just successfully used to install the rest of the suite.

I then tried uninstalling it by deleting all Photoshop files in Finder, but I still get the same message--that it's already installed.

Any ideas?

pointycollars

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
Cincinnati
Someone I know just had this problem recently. I think they solved it by completely uninstalling all components related to CS3 - including finding all its resource files located in every corner of your system, then reinstalling it from scratch.

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
I had the same problem. I'm pretty sure I had to use Adobe's special uninstall tool that they created just for this issue. Let me check and see if I can still find it. Be right back...

Yes, it's the Adobe CS3 Clean Script that works pretty well to clean up all of the Adobe CS3 poopie that the installer leaves behind when it fails an install.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

The CS3 is not a very good installer, in my opinion.

(Note: this is above and beyond the standard installer. The instructions say to run the standard installer first, then this special script.)

~David

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Try this:

1. Go to Applications > Utilities > Adobe Installers
2. Run the Photoshop Installer and select Remove
3. When it's finished, run the Design Premium installer and check the Photoshop selection box.

Now you should be able to use your Design Premium key :)

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
I had the same problem except with Illustrator.

I spent a day installing/uninstalling/reinstalling the Master Collection. :eek:

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
When you run the installer it should ask you if you want to remove any CS3 files. That was ample enough for me to finally install anyway.

Also a single app installation is always different from that of a package. When you install single app you have a different code for all yes? When you buy a bundle as the original poster did you only have to type in one number on installation.

Timberline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Thanks for all of the help, everyone! :D

Try this:

1. Go to Applications > Utilities > Adobe Installers
2. Run the Photoshop Installer and select Remove
3. When it's finished, run the Design Premium installer and check the Photoshop selection box.

Now you should be able to use your Design Premium key :)

This worked perfect and was relatively painless.

It took about 25 minutes to install Photoshop alone, though, on a Mac Pro w/ 5GB of RAM :confused: Regardless, it works now and that's what matters.

Thanks again!

Kare Bare

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
more help

i've tried both methods that were mentioned above, but neither worked. photoshop is still (already installed)

in reply to david's solution, there was nothing underneath adobe installers. though it was after i used the CS3 Clean-Up method.

any other ideas?

calryx

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
CS3 Clean Script

As Moof 1904 stated, CS3 Clean Script is the uninstaller that attempts to remove all the parts of the Adobe install. One thing that he did not mention is that there are 4 levels to it. They increase in thoroughness as the number increases. Just make sure that you have everything closed and it probably would not be a bad idea to make copies of what you don't want to lose because level 4 will absolutely wipe the slate clean (or at least it did for me). I would attach a copy of the dmg but the forum does not allow the extension. Moof gave a link, but I got mine from an Adobe FTP site that the tech gave me, so I'm not sure if it is the same or not, but if it is there will be a place where it will ask you what level do you want to clean at and there you enter the 1-4. I tried 3 first but it did not clean everything then I went to 4 and it was all and I mean all gone. I'm glad that my problems were at the initial install because if I had lost work, I would have been really pissed, at what I'm not sure but I would have found something to be pissed at. I'm not sure if this will help you at all, but at the least you can get in touch with Adobe and see if they will give you the FTP address.
If you get through an install then it should be on your system and use this link to go to adobe.com for you os instructions. http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html I hope this helps! :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.