Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcnash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
Hi- I am having problems booting my 700 mhz G4 Flat Panel Mac after connecting to my new Mac via Firewire to transfer a disk image of OS 10.4 I made from the DVD supplied with my new Mac. I was driven to trying this solution to upgrading my old Mac (from 10.2 to 10.4) after:

1) not being able to purchase a retail copy from Apple
2) not having a DVD drive on the old machine anyway, so connecting an external DVD drive and trying to load the OS software from the DVD install disks that came with my new Mac (old Mac saw the drive, tried to open the file but didn't know how)

So I learned about making a disk image of the DVD, which I did, then learned about connecting the 2 machines via firewire and starting up the old machine as a target disk. This all seemed to be working fine. The target disk image showed up on the new machine, I was able to drag the OS disk image to it and it appeared to copy the contents to the old machine. When I unplugged the Firewire and restarted the old machine it starting booting normally then just stopped, with a "You must restart your computer" message popping up on the screen. I have tried to restart the old machine several times with the same results and have unplugged the power then tried it again as well.

Being far less than an expert at this I realize there are several ways this could have gone wrong, which is why included all the info. above - just wasn't sure which actions were relevant to helping figure out what to do next to get my old machine to boot, which is my most immediate problem. Dealing with the OS upgrade issue is also a concern.

I appreciate any help you may have on either of these issues.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Did you try to install the Tiger DVD or just drag and drop it over to the other computer?

You need to start the iMac up in FireWire Target Disk mode, connect it to the Mac with the DVD drive, and then run the Tiger installer from the DVD-equipped Mac. When it asks what hard drive to install to, choose the iMac's hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.