Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Feb 6, 2008, 08:35 PM   #1
edeforce
macrumors newbie

transferring from old ibook G4 to new macbook

I am trying to transfer the info from my old ibook G4 (with leopard) to my new macbook using a firewire and set-up assistant. I restarted my old computer holding the T and the firewire symbol appeared fine. My new macbook states that i can't transfer info without OSX installed....my old computer has OSX leopard ...i tried re-starting again and the same pop-up message as before is displayed in set-up assistant on my new computer
confused,
edeforce
edeforce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:46 PM   #2
FJ218700
macrumors 68000

can you elaborate more. is there indeed an operating system on your new computer? Setup assisstant seems to think that there is not.

if so, just quit out of the setup assisstant and manually copy your files over from the finder, the old computer will appear as a hard drive icon on your desktop
Old Feb 8, 2008, 10:14 PM   #3
cooper83
macrumors newbie

This exact same thing happened to me last week when I made the transition. Luckily I ended up just transferring all my iBook files from an external hard drive. Obviously something is wrong with one of the computers, but I'm not sure what, as OSX is clearly installed, despite what the error message says. Sorry I can't help you!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs