Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:03 PM   #1
littlekenneth
macrumors member

How to play .exe file at MacbookPro?

I'd try to play a .exe file from my review course, but I know .exe is a pc format software. I wondered if it's even possible to execute a .exe file in mac OS? Thanks a lot.
littlekenneth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Jason S.
macrumors 6502a

You need to run it in Windows.

You can also try Crossover. Google it.
Jason S. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:05 PM   #3
bjett92
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjett92
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekenneth View Post
I'd try to play a .exe file from my review course, but I know .exe is a pc format software. I wondered if it's even possible to execute a .exe file in mac OS? Thanks a lot.
You can use crossover if you don't want to install windows.
bjett92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:05 PM   #4
swiftaw
macrumors 603

You could try Crossover.

Failing that Parallels/VMWare/Bootcamp
swiftaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:08 PM   #5
TimJim
macrumors 6502a

Does crossover work well?
TimJim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:46 PM   #6
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJim View Post
Yeah really, I'd like to know too. Looks neat.
JesterJJZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:13 PM   #7
balamw

Quote:
Depends on the app and if Crossover implements the APIs used by the app well. Some popular apps are here:

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name

B
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:21 PM   #8
applefan69
macrumors 6502

A better solution is WINE

it's amazing how few people know of WINE, i personally like WINE more then crossovers, plus WINE is free.

Just google

WINE OS X

you'll get the result you need.
applefan69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:23 AM   #9
Kalafut
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Kalafut Send a message via MSN to Kalafut
Quote:
ya it does, i run Steam/Counter Strike Source through Crossover. i only have the trial version and it works great. alot cheaper than re buying Windows for parallels/boot camp
bluetooth mighty mouse.
Kalafut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:37 AM   #10
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefan69 View Post
Just google

WINE OS X

you'll get the result you need.
Better to google Darwine. http://darwine.sourceforge.net/

Note: Crossover is WINE, just a commercial, supported version of WINE that is easier to install and where you have someone to call on if things don't work as you expect them to.

B
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:39 AM   #11
motulist
macrumors 68040

Just to clarify, do you mean play the file, or open the file? Because if this file is supposedly a music or video file then we need to be having an entirely different conversation than what's been said so far.
motulist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 09:00 AM   #12
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by motulist View Post
Just to clarify, do you mean play the file, or open the file? Because if this file is supposedly a music or video file then we need to be having an entirely different conversation than what's been said so far.
Why? If it's just a self-extracting archive (ZIP/RAR, etc...) it should still open just fine in DarWine/Crossover, no? Or are you thinking of something else?

B
Old Feb 7, 2008, 09:02 AM   #13
iCeFuSiOn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Sounds like it could be a Flash demonstration or walkthrough in a Windows Executable wrapper (which ensures that the end-user can play the video even if the computer does not have Flash installed).

You could use Darwine, Crossover for Mac, or for the best experience if you really need to use a lot of Windows applications on your Mac you could use Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion.
8 GB iPod touch
iCeFuSiOn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 09:03 AM   #14
motulist
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Why? If it's just a self-extracting archive (ZIP/RAR, etc...) it should still open just fine in DarWine/Crossover, no? Or are you thinking of something else?

B
If it's a self extracting archive then it'll decompress just fine in any OS X unarchiver. Same if it's a video file. It doesn't matter if it's a video file that ends .exe just because it's really an avi with an embedded player, if you just change the extension on the file name then you can open it up in any applicable OS X software.
motulist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 09:28 AM   #15
balamw

Quote:
If it's a self extracting archive then it'll decompress just fine in any OS X unarchiver. Same if it's a video file. It doesn't matter if it's a video file that ends .exe just because it's really an avi with an embedded player, if you just change the extension on the file name then you can open it up in any applicable OS X software.
Sure, if you already know what you are doing. The OP doesn't seem to be quite that "adventurous" shall we say. Running it the way Mark Zbibowski (google it) intended is the only way to make sure you get what was intended...

e.g. what if the self-extracting file contains multiple AVIs, my guess is the player won't know what to do when it gets to the end of the first stream...

B
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:09 PM   #16
Stinar007
macrumors newbie

Wine...

I tried both WINE sights recommended above.

The first one seemed to work fine - at least I have the Wine Icon and folders downloaded onto my Hard Drive - but when I try to run an exe. file with it, the icon pops up in my dock for a moment and then disappears again

The second one wouldn't let me download, so I don't know what's up with that. I don't claim to be the most computer savvy guy in the world though.

Any help on what's going wrong here? It's just one exe. program I want to run, so to pay $65.95 every six months just doesn't seem worth it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help