Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdanilson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
McLean, VA
I'm in the process of moving my wife's primary computer from a PC to a shiny new Imac. Originally the Iphone was set up to use the PC and it has synced her Outlook contacts and calendar to the Iphone.

I tried syncing her Iphone with the Imac, however, it appears the phone is wedded to the PC.

I presume if I use the "reset Iphone" function in Itunes on the Imac that might do the trick, however, I don't want to erase the contacts and calendar items already stored on the Iphone, and in fact, am counting on those stored contacts and calendar entries on the Iphone to populate her address book and ICal on the Imac.

Anyone know the secret sauce that will tell the Iphone to now use the Imac and forever forget about the old crusty pc?

thanks

jeffmc

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
I'm in the process of moving my wife's primary computer from a PC to a shiny new Imac. Originally the Iphone was set up to use the PC and it has synced her Outlook contacts and calendar to the Iphone.

I tried syncing her Iphone with the Imac, however, it appears the phone is wedded to the PC.

I presume if I use the "reset Iphone" function in Itunes on the Imac that might do the trick, however, I don't want to erase the contacts and calendar items already stored on the Iphone, and in fact, am counting on those stored contacts and calendar entries on the Iphone to populate her address book and ICal on the Imac.

Anyone know the secret sauce that will tell the Iphone to now use the Imac and forever forget about the old crusty pc?

thanks

if you plug it in and sync it, it will tell you it's paired with another computer. "would you like to erase and re-sync"

say yes and you're done!

jdanilson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
McLean, VA
Problem solved.

In Itunes you set the preferences for which things to sync. When I checked contacts and calendar it recognized it had never synced and asked if I wanted to erase or merge the contents. Choosing merger worked find and all the data from the iPhone ended up in iCal and AddressBook.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Problem solved.

In Itunes you set the preferences for which things to sync. When I checked contacts and calendar it recognized it had never synced and asked if I wanted to erase or merge the contents. Choosing merger worked find and all the data from the iPhone ended up in iCal and AddressBook.

Now just imagine if you were going the other way, from Mac to Vista...

jhol

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Problem solved.

I'm trying to do this now, move my iPhone from syncing with my PC to my new iMac. The issue I'm having is with the apps on my iPhone, when I try to check the box in iTunes on the iMac it says its going to replace all the apps on the iPhone with the apps from the iMac. I have no iPhone apps on the iMac, since I've never synced an iPhone with this iMac before. I can't figure out how to get it to go the other way. any ideas?

jman10135

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I'm trying to do this now, move my iPhone from syncing with my PC to my new iMac. The issue I'm having is with the apps on my iPhone, when I try to check the box in iTunes on the iMac it says its going to replace all the apps on the iPhone with the apps from the iMac. I have no iPhone apps on the iMac, since I've never synced an iPhone with this iMac before. I can't figure out how to get it to go the other way. any ideas?

If you want to transfer your apps, all you have to do is get some sort of external storage like a flash stick or external hard drive (you can do it over a wireless home network if you have one but its is less complicated using a external storage device). On your PC, go to My Music -> iTunes and look for the Mobile Applications folder. Now open My Computer and double click your storage device. Now right click on the Mobile Applications folder and click copy. Now right click in your external storage window and click paste. When its finished copying, you can unplug the external hard drive and connect it to your Mac. On your Mac, go into iTunes, click File at the top and click Add to Library. In the Finder window that pops up, click on the external storage device, click on your Mobile Applications folder and click open. Now your apps should be in your Application tab. :D

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

All you need to do is click transfer purchases under your iPhone in iTunes.

CJC

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
jman10135,

Outstanding; it was exactly what i needed and worked perfectly. THANKS!

GLOC

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
What if I have a JB 3.1.2 with Blackra1n and I don't want to lose everything on here? Is there a simple way of transferring everything over?

Regards

Gareth

wehungthedj

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
see, i tried to "transfer purchases" as well, but i kept getting a message that i didn't have permissions to write that onto the HD.

Jad Morffier

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
I tried it last night and it seems a majority if not all (haven't checked all apps yet) of my app data/settings have been transferred along with my apps.

Hi there,

Can you confirm all the apps and their settings transferred correctly?
I am about to update to an iPhone 4 and I've never synced my 123 applications currently on my 3GS to iTunes on my desktop. I've turned the option off to sync Apps when I connect the iPhone from the very beginning and always purchased Apps using the iPhone, never iTunes.

I have some notebook type apps with a tonne of notes I've taken, and heaps of eBooks I am in the middle of reading on my 3GS and I don't want to lose any of them if I can.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Hi there,

Can you confirm all the apps and their settings transferred correctly?
I am about to update to an iPhone 4 and I've never synced my 123 applications currently on my 3GS to iTunes on my desktop. I've turned the option off to sync Apps when I connect the iPhone from the very beginning and always purchased Apps using the iPhone, never iTunes.

I have some notebook type apps with a tonne of notes I've taken, and heaps of eBooks I am in the middle of reading on my 3GS and I don't want to lose any of them if I can.

As I stated, app settings and game saves are only contained in the backup, not the app

XxxXnoodleXxxX

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
Wait, I'm confused.
I'm trying to do the same thing.
All I want to make sure doesn't get deleted are my photos, which should be easy to get off the phone, my contacts, and my apps (and their settings/saved games)
I transferred my purchases already to my new mac, but does that mean if I try and sync, and it inevitably erases everything, that my apps will stay on the phone since they're there in purchases? Or will it still delete them, along with all the stuff saved within the app?

XxxXnoodleXxxX

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
Anyone have any suggestions? I'm super new to Mac and have to try and get all this out before University starts back up again...

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles

with all due respect, i'm curious: why have you never synced with itunes? what do you believe you've gained by not syncing? i can't think of one, logical reason not to do so. on the contrary, not syncing has many disadvantages.

nelito

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
My problem is a little bit more hardo to solve. I have two iphones that have two different libraries and settings at a PC and i need to migrate them to my new (and first) Mac...

Any clue about this?

Tks a lot.

iAddiction

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2009
Hey folks:

I tried the tricks above, but I still cannot load music onto my iPhone etc.

My iPhone is filled with valuable texts, emails, notes, and voice memos.

If I move my iPhone to my Mac will I lose these? How do I get my iPhone to "safely" work with my Mac when its been synced to my PC for all this time? I want to keep my vital info.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.