Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason S.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
Until I can gather up the funds to upgrade my RAM to 4GB, is there any way to limit how much memory gets shared with the GMA X3100? I want to reduce it to 64MB shared, at least until I can get away from the default 1GB of RAM.

I know you can do this for integrated chips in the BIOS on PCs; certainly there must be a way to do it on a Mac, too.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
Until I can gather up the funds to upgrade my RAM to 4GB, is there any way to limit how much memory gets shared with the GMA X3100? I want to reduce it to 64MB shared, at least until I can get away from the default 1GB of RAM.

I know you can do this for integrated chips in the BIOS on PCs; certainly there must be a way to do it on a Mac, too.

I don't think this is possible in OS X. I would wait for some deals online for that 4GB RAM. I did a search on Google and it just came up with how to increase it. Maybe somebody else has an idea.

ZacUSNYR

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
I don't think this is possible in OS X. I would wait for some deals online for that 4GB RAM. I did a search on Google and it just came up with how to increase it. Maybe somebody else has an idea.

I just ordered 4gb of Corsair memory on newegg.com for $89 shipped to my door. Ordered last night - it shipped today, should be here tomorrow with ground shipping since it's leaving NJ :)

martin1636

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008

so how do you increase it? :D

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
OK, but how exactly can you increase the amount of shared RAM on the integrated graphics card (X3100 or the 950)?

I think OS X does it automatically. Correct me if I am wrong but if you install more RAM (2GB or 4GB), if the GMA needs more RAM (past 64MB for the 950), OS X will use more from the RAM. For Windows, it is a BIOS settings so you can fool around with that.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I think OS X does it automatically. Correct me if I am wrong but if you install more RAM (2GB or 4GB), if the GMA needs more RAM (past 64MB for the 950), OS X will use more from the RAM. For Windows, it is a BIOS settings so you can fool around with that.

There is no BIOS on a Mac. But the drivers do the controling.

TEG

martin1636

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
There is no BIOS on a Mac. But the drivers do the controling.

TEG

Sooo... that means that we only need a driver that will be able to increase the memory on the graphics card, right??? But how do we get that driver? :confused:

Jason S.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I'd be comfortable using Terminal or editing a .kext to change it. Anybody got a good place for me to start? Where are drivers usually located?

martin1636

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

Not that it's hard to find.

WHOA! :eek: :eek: :eek:
So with this thing, I'll be able to modify the amount of shared graphics RAM memory on my MacBook when i buy one this spring? Have you tried it? What's the maximum?

Cheers!

pjrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
:eek: This is nice to hear.

I always thought that Mac OS X was hard-coded to not let the GMA 950 / 3100 use more than ~200MB shared RAM. I guess I'm wrong. Would there be any advantage of ramping it up to the limit (for use with stuff like Photoshop)?

I have 4GB RAM :)

DCSMAC

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2005
anyway you can do this for a gma950? how exactly do you do it also, i keep getting permission denied

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
:eek: This is nice to hear.

I always thought that Mac OS X was hard-coded to not let the GMA 950 / 3100 use more than ~200MB shared RAM. I guess I'm wrong. Would there be any advantage of ramping it up to the limit (for use with stuff like Photoshop)?

I have 4GB RAM :)

No. Wont help with Photoshop. Photoshop doesn't require dedicated video RAM, just system RAM. Unless you're doing 3D modeling with your MacBook (and you're not, otherwise you wouldn't be using a MacBook), 384MB of VRAM will be pretty useless.

Vipersfate

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2008
I used to do a lot of work with OS x86 back in the day, and I'm fairly comfortable with editing and changing kexts if needed. How would one force OS X to use 384MB for dedicated video graphics. I've been looking through the kext stated above, but it shows no information that I can see that is relevant to the answer.

How would one change it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.