Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 7, 2008, 01:42 PM   #1
servo-15
macrumors newbie

Low call volume on iphone??

Does anyone else think that their iphone has a low call volume? I have a jb 1.1.3 (1.1.2OTB) and think the volume is quieter than on my previous phones. Is this normal, or should I return it while I can?
servo-15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 03:56 PM   #2
domness
macrumors 6502a

Hmm.. Mine seems to go pretty loud to be honest.

Have you tried turning the volume up while in a call?
domness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:06 PM   #3
aross99
macrumors 68000

Mine seems to be especially low on the bluetooth headset. Using the wired headset is MUCH louder. I have it turned up all the way for bluetooth, and about half way on wired.

It seems like it is lower than it used to be. Don't know if that is just over time, or due to SW updates.

Bluetooth is always fully charged, and the phone could be right next to the headset - still to low...
aross99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:36 PM   #4
hexonxonx
Banned

I had my orginal iPhone that I bought on July 6 that had a low speaker volume. I could hear everything fine through the ear piece. The speaker volume would fluctuate on it's own. I would turn it on and have loud volume one minute, 10 minutes from now it would be so low I couldn't hear it in a quiet room. I finally had enough and exchanged it about a month ago.

I have had no volume problems on that one ever since, I can hear when SMS come in as well as emails, all while it is in my pocket.

Since then, I have bought two additional iPhones, one a 8GB and the other a 16GB and both have excellent volume as well.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:49 PM   #5
drchipinski
macrumors 6502

yes. Terrible speaker phone volume as well.
drchipinski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:49 PM   #6
jecapaga
macrumors 601

low call volume is a common complaint. speakerphone as well. you're not alone.
jecapaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:55 PM   #7
domness
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecapaga View Post
low call volume is a common complaint. speakerphone as well. you're not alone.
Even though my call volume has been fine.. One of the things in most reports about the iPhone WAS the low call volume.
domness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:15 PM   #8
jbuckner
macrumors member

I have a new 8GB and the speaker phone is horrible, coming from a Blackberry I really miss the speaker phone option. The speaker phone on the iPhone is un-useable.

The Relgious Right is Neither.
jbuckner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:02 PM   #9
nate94gt
macrumors member

the earpiece speaker is very loud on mine, however the speakerphone is useless, which is too bad cuz i love speakerphone
nate94gt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 02:05 AM   #10
servo-15
macrumors newbie

Hmm.... Thanks for the feedback guys.It seems that it is pot luck whether the call volume is loud or not. I've never actually tried the speakerphone because it has always been useless in my previous phones.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 02:15 AM   #11
McGiord
macrumors 68040

I also have a low volume iPhone, I bought it in August '07.
And I have been travelling a lot and haven't have time to go to the to ask for a replacement.

It would be interesting if you all can post when you bought your iPhones to see if this was only on old iPhones or if it is still happening with current new ones.

The relativity factor of our own deafness will always be there.
________
Yamaha FZ150i history

Last edited by McGiord; Jan 30, 2011 at 04:39 AM.
McGiord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 02:37 AM   #12
hexonxonx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGiord View Post
I also have a low volume iPhone, I bought it in August '07.
And I have been travelling a lot and haven't have time to go to the to ask for a replacement.

It would be interesting if you all can post when you bought your iPhones to see if this was only on old iPhones or if it is still happening with current new ones.

The relativity factor of our own deafness will always be there.
Well, I bought my first iPhone on July 6. It was a week 26 iPhone and the volume would fluctuate all on it's own. Every 5 minutes the volume could be higher or lower than what it was 5 minutes before. I exchanged it at the Apple store because of this problem about a month ago and was given a week 1 of 2008 iPhone. No volume problems with the new one.

I also have a week 51 of 2007 and that one has no volume problems
I also bought a 16GB iPhone on Tuesday and it too has no volume problems.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 02:56 AM   #13
maestro55
macrumors 68030

Send a message via ICQ to maestro55 Send a message via AIM to maestro55 Send a message via MSN to maestro55 Send a message via Yahoo to maestro55 Send a message via Skype™ to maestro55
I had a week 38 purchased in October and it had was appeared to me as low volume, recently got a week 50 to replace that one due to the the screen not responding in the bottom half and it appears to have low volume. The problem is, I don't know if the phone is messed up of if it is just because I am deaf (not legally I don't suppose, but too much loud music in my ears hasn't been good to me).
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:32 AM   #14
servo-15
macrumors newbie

Luckily, I didn't manage to return my phone.
Now the damn thing seems to have a normal call volume! Bizarre. I just hope it stays like this now.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:01 AM   #15
ioriamd
macrumors newbie

i planning to buy iphone this week..
can somebody compare the call ringing quality between 8gb and 16gb?

is it got small , intermidiate or really big diff of volume quality?

pls help me to decide
thanx
ioriamd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 03:33 PM   #16
larlia
macrumors newbie

how I fixed it...

Maybe (hopefully) you've solved the problem by now but anyway... I had the same problem, especially when using the ear piece. I found the call volume was controlled by the ipod volume limit. After raising the limit I was able to increase the volume a lot more with the side buttons.
larlia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2008, 04:00 PM   #17
terp26
macrumors newbie

yea mine was low when I bought it last year, then it became lower to the point I could barely hear anything.

I popped 2 holes in the earpart with a pin, volume increased, while not loud and while i still have to press my phone hard against my ear, a lot better.

I do not suggest doing that , dont wanna be responsible for peoples screwed up speaker
terp26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 07:59 AM   #18
john2006
macrumors newbie

Hi, thought I would join this forum to update this thread.

I brought a 8GB iPhone at the end of January and I have appauling call volume, I can barely hear people talking.

I am going to try and get it replaced and hope for the best, has anyone successfully had theirs replaced becuase of this problem?
john2006 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 04:45 PM   #19
rednano74
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo-15 View Post
Does anyone else think that their iphone has a low call volume? I have a jb 1.1.3 (1.1.2OTB) and think the volume is quieter than on my previous phones. Is this normal, or should I return it while I can?
I noticed the call volume is quite lower than my Moto Q I had. But at the same time I have noticed that the call volume also depends on the other end. For the same setting, one person could be low and another person could be louder.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:24 AM   #20
schoensm
macrumors newbie

Clean the earpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo-15 View Post
Use a flashlight and take a close look at the earpiece screen, (the piece that covers the earpiece), hair-gel and other products build up over time on the earpiece. Use a small needle and gently scrape away the gunk. Use compressed air after to gently blow away the loose fragments. Do not blow directly into the earpiece, you could force the debris deeper into the earpiece. I only use about 15psi and hold the air compressor nozzle at about a 45 degree angle. I have to do this about every 6 months.
schoensm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:34 AM   #21
Rafagon
macrumors member

Smile thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoensm View Post
Use a flashlight and take a close look at the earpiece screen, (the piece that covers the earpiece), hair-gel and other products build up over time on the earpiece. Use a small needle and gently scrape away the gunk. Use compressed air after to gently blow away the loose fragments. Do not blow directly into the earpiece, you could force the debris deeper into the earpiece. I only use about 15psi and hold the air compressor nozzle at about a 45 degree angle. I have to do this about every 6 months.
This seems like great advice and incant wait to try it. Well worth the captchas and blood samples i had to provide from the iphone!!

-Rafagon
Rafagon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone