Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I have just started converting my DVD's to add to my itunes library. I did it all through a PC. I ripped the DVD using DVD shrink then used the PC version of Handbrake to convert it. I selected the option to convert the file for AppleTV which it did. Everything worked fine and itunes plays the file but it is named an M4V file instead of an MP4. Is this ok? What's the difference?

Also as well as setting handbrake for appletv I also ticked the boxes for 2-pass encoding and Turbo 1st pass. Is this all I need to do, is this the best setup?

I am doing this all on a pc as my pc is free where my mac needs to be used for other things, I was planning on connecting my appletv through my pc. I take it this should work just the same as a mac?

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
An m4v file is still MPEG4, but it will open in iTunes by default, as opposed to QT or whatever other program you have your mp4's default to.

As for 2-pass encoding, plenty of people use it and they say that they get better results, especially at lower bitrates. My machine is slow enough at encoding h.264 as it is, so I don't use it. But if your machine is pumping out a decent fps rate, then go for it.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
M4V is required for iTunes/Quicktime to acknowledge the chapter markers, unless this has recently changed in an update.

I can use chapter markers on all my mp4s. In fact, 95% of the files I have are mp4s, and they work exactly the same way as the m4vs do. But I got my unit after the 1.1 update and didn't try it with 1.0 software.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have often wondered this too but wasn't sure. Originally I did MPEG-4 files but my 2.8 iMac does H.264 fast enough. I still get confused about the anamorphic settings. I don't think I will undertake converting my whole library until handbrake goes 1.0

williedigital

Cancelled
Oct 4, 2005
the way I understand it, m4v is EXACTLY the same as .mp4, and the extensions can be renamed to .mp4 with no loss in functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.