Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thworple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Sussex, England
The other day I had a catalogue drop through my door from the Carphone Warehouse and noticed that they have an in-car iPhone solution for both phonecalls and music streaming, called the iO PLAY, for sale both in-store and online.

Now, my first reaction is that Carphone Warehouse generally sucks, and I'd rather not have to deal with them in any way, shape or form, but I'm after a decent solution for my new Audi and my iPhone. It seems to suggest that it can stream music from your iPhone to your car's speaker system, and take phonecalls via bluetooth. I was under the impression that you couldn't stream music from the iPhone in that way?

Anyone else come across this?

younger90

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
iO PLAY - an in-car iPhone solution?

Hi thworple,

I have on of these iO PLAY music streming kits and it is the best thing i have installed in my car. It ables me to play music in my car wirelessly using Bluetooth technology. It also acts as a hands free car kit. So you can make and receive phone calls on the iPhone as well as play music from your iPhone. The music streaming is very good quality, it uses A2DP (Stereo Bluetooth) by using a small Bluetooth adaptor that plugs into the base of the iPhone.

If you buy from the Carphone Warehouse the kit will come bundled with the iPhone Bluetooh adaptor so it will work with the iPhone straight out of the box. The price at The Carphone Warehouse will also include the installation into your car and also any additional lead needed to fit your Audi.

Hope this helps.

marcpsummers

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
I want one...

I want one of these but i am unclear how this fits to my car stereo - my car is a citreon picasso with standard stereo.

I see CPW install but i can get cheaper from other places thanks to Google and with more details feel capable of fitting it myself.

But - there does not seem to be much information on what requirements the stereo needs etc.

Also why does the iphone need a bluetooth adaptor when it has bluetooth built in?

Marc

shrewsburywolf

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
I want one of these but i am unclear how this fits to my car stereo - my car is a citreon picasso with standard stereo.

I see CPW install but i can get cheaper from other places thanks to Google and with more details feel capable of fitting it myself.

But - there does not seem to be much information on what requirements the stereo needs etc.

Also why does the iphone need a bluetooth adaptor when it has bluetooth built in?

Marc

Because unfortunately the iPhone does not support A2DP as standard. The adaptor that comes bundled with the kit does.

younger90

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
iO PLAY

Hi Marc

The iO PLAY is fully integrated into your audio system. Some of the iO PLAY components are installed inline behind your car head unit and then the iO PLAY console and the microphone will be placed on show in your car. I guess this might mean removing interior trim??
Also, If your car does not have ISO connectors then an additional "SOT lead" is required. This lead converts the Citreon connector into a ISO connector.

The thing that you have to bear in mind when buying an iO PLAY from CPW is that this kit is being sold as an iPhone bundle. So CPW sell iO PLAY complete with the iPhone/iPod iO Bluetooth Adaptor. That is why it is considerly more expensive. CPW price also includes Instalation and the inclusion of the SOT Lead (If needed).

I too looked around for a better price for the iO PLAY but when you take the above into account it doesnt make much difference.

Hope this helps you.

thworple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Sussex, England
Spam much?

It's an honest question with what looks like an honest response to me.

younger90 said:
Hi thworple,

I have on of these iO PLAY music streming kits and it is the best thing i have installed in my car. It ables me to play music in my car wirelessly using Bluetooth technology. It also acts as a hands free car kit. So you can make and receive phone calls on the iPhone as well as play music from your iPhone. The music streaming is very good quality, it uses A2DP (Stereo Bluetooth) by using a small Bluetooth adaptor that plugs into the base of the iPhone.

If you buy from the Carphone Warehouse the kit will come bundled with the iPhone Bluetooh adaptor so it will work with the iPhone straight out of the box. The price at The Carphone Warehouse will also include the installation into your car and also any additional lead needed to fit your Audi.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice - thats great.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Does anyone know if the Mach 460 sound system in the Mustang (1999-2004) would be compatible with this system? I don't know if it has IOS or SOT lead, but I do always hear about how difficult it is to get things like iPod integration with out using an FM Transmitter.

slashjunior

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2007
I seen this today while I was browsing at Carphone Warehouse. It looks like something I am looking for, but was taken back by the price. They told me it was £199.99 plus about another £70 to fit!!?? No way!! I could buy another iPhone for that, plus I checked on the website and apparently it is not compatible with other phones. Hopefully more products and headunits will start coming out that will start supporting iPhone using bluetooth.

younger90

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
i brought an iO PLAY from the CPW and the £199 price includes installation and any additional SOT Lead (if needed). This price package also includes the iPhone/iPod iO Bluetooth adaptor.

Amr

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Is there a cheaper solution?

would something like the Parrot MK6000 work with the iphone? I'm finding the 199 a bit too much.. not to mention the installation fee..

younger90

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2008
I got a demonstration of the parrot kit but was unable to play music from my iPhone. This was a big problem for me.

marcpsummers

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
Install Tomorrow

My I/O play has arrived and the guys are coming to install tomorrow (Weds).

The main problem I see with this is the bluetooth adaptot you need to stream music.

This plugs into the bottom of the Iphone - which then means you cannot charge it.

What it needed is a through charger on the bottom of the adaptor so it can charge and stream music at the same time.

Driving is the only time I charge my phone. Now I have to decide if I charge phone or listen to music.

I hope I/O Play people are reading this thread and develop a better BT adaptor that solves this problem.

Marc - looking forward to my install tomorrow.:apple:

liberty4all

Jan 7, 2007
This would work cool IF Apple FINALLY enables A2DP in June on the current iPhones! It's just a software thing!

Stevemclean

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2008
Hi all,
Firstly to introduce myself....I'm Steve and I run an In Car Electronics Worldwide Distribution company and we are trade partners for the iO brand.
I have an iO play installed in my own vehicle and it can be described in one word " BRILLIANT! ". It was always designed to be a Bluetooth streaming device that had basic handsfree functionality. It is the ONLY viable solution for iPhone users ( let's face it you wouldn't have spent an arm and a leg on one if music wasn't important!! ). Yes you do need to use the optional dongle as for some unknown reason Apple gave the iPhone A2DP but didn't activate it!! The iO play will allow you to stream the audio from your iPhone or iPod using the dongle with exceptional quality sound reproduction and indeed from any mobile phone handset with A2DP. I for example have an LG Viewty which I can stream music from to the iO and the kit will also intelligently ( pause the audio ) handle an incoming call if someone were to call me then upon finishing the call the audio would restart. The same would happen if I were streaming the audio from an iPod/iPhone too!!!
As a trade supplier we speak to installers nationwide on a daily basis that would happily supply only or supply and fit the iO play with the competence of a professional installer ( no offence CPW ). If you would like to be put in touch with your nearest installer please contact me and I will pass on your details. If you have any question regarding iO play please either post your query or email me directly.
I hope I can be of assistance.

Kind regards to all,

Steve

marcpsummers

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
iPhone 2.0 and ioPlay

the new iPhone 2.0 has 'Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR' will this mean it will work without the silly BT adaptor for music???

MarcusOG

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
6 Channel Set Up

Hey there!

I have purchased an IO Play through Expansys here in the US and received everything very quickly, but the system is set up to be used with a 4 channel stereo - that's what my installer guy tells me at least. Does anyone know whether it can be hooked up to a 6 channel system as well? The harness provided apparently doesn't do the job and iO's customer service is terrible as they are just not getting back to me at all!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

paulb3tt

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
Does the IO display playlist/artist/track info from the ipod?

Hello All,

I've just bought a new car and ghave been considering a Dension Gateway 100 install for ipod connection. I know this product has been around a while and is reliable. The main draw to this product is the fact that all the track detail are displayed on the vehicles standard audio player and the ipod is controllable from the player also, so it's completely integrated.

I went into Halfords today to enquire about the Dension kit and saw the IO on offer. Both are on offer for £149.99 fitted. I like the fact that the IO is wireless and offers a hands free solution too. What I can't confirm is that the IO will enable me to control the ipod like the Dension will i.e. can I bung the ipod in the glove box and control from my audio from the standard player.

Any advise much appreciated, thanks!

solventnoize

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2008
uk
io play - not just for iphone

i recently purchased an io play in the uk from online store blue-marvel after following a link from the io website.

i do not have an iphone, but wanted to stream music from my ipod after hearing the quality of the io play device in a co-workers car.

The io play cost £85 and the adapter was £28, delivery was £4.50. The kit was easily fitted in less than an hour by an auto electrician. (£40) so, all sorted for under £160 :) i did not require an additional sot lead for my VW golf.

http://www.blue-marvel.co.uk/acatalog/io.html

After the kit was fitted, i not only found out that i could talk handsfree from any bluetooth phone, listen to my ipod, but could also stream audio from my sony ericsson k800i mobile phone as it has a2dp.
The sound quality is superb, and i would recommend the io play to anyone wether they have an iphone or not.

Ben May

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
Leeds, UK
Hi all,
Firstly to introduce myself....I'm Steve and I run an In Car Electronics Worldwide Distribution company and we are trade partners for the iO brand.
I have an iO play installed in my own vehicle and it can be described in one word " BRILLIANT! ". It was always designed to be a Bluetooth streaming device that had basic handsfree functionality. It is the ONLY viable solution for iPhone users ( let's face it you wouldn't have spent an arm and a leg on one if music wasn't important!! ). Yes you do need to use the optional dongle as for some unknown reason Apple gave the iPhone A2DP but didn't activate it!! The iO play will allow you to stream the audio from your iPhone or iPod using the dongle with exceptional quality sound reproduction and indeed from any mobile phone handset with A2DP. I for example have an LG Viewty which I can stream music from to the iO and the kit will also intelligently ( pause the audio ) handle an incoming call if someone were to call me then upon finishing the call the audio would restart. The same would happen if I were streaming the audio from an iPod/iPhone too!!!
As a trade supplier we speak to installers nationwide on a daily basis that would happily supply only or supply and fit the iO play with the competence of a professional installer ( no offence CPW ). If you would like to be put in touch with your nearest installer please contact me and I will pass on your details. If you have any question regarding iO play please either post your query or email me directly.
I hope I can be of assistance.

Kind regards to all,

Steve

Just to clarify Steve no longer works at Drive so I will be dealing with any questions regarding the IO Play. I, myself, have an IO Play too. Please feel free to email me or give me a call

Ben

gmoore4464

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
Ben - do you have an answer for the above poster - "the new iPhone 2.0 has 'Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR' will this mean it will work without the silly BT adaptor for music??? "

Also, will the io Play system work with a simple Aux port or do you really need to go into the actual stereo unit?

Thanks!!

Ben May

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
Leeds, UK
Ben - do you have an answer for the above poster - "the new iPhone 2.0 has 'Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR' will this mean it will work without the silly BT adaptor for music??? "

Also, will the io Play system work with a simple Aux port or do you really need to go into the actual stereo unit?

Thanks!!

Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR is fine for hands free application but A2DP is what's required to stream music. Therefore you will still need a dongle. The issue with the dongle is that the charge port is then occupied. IO have addressed this and the new dongle due out soon has a mini USB connector on the other end and a charge lead with Cigar lighter end. This will enable charging and streaming at the same time.

Aux Port: Again this is something being discussed for the next generation IO Play kit. With the current IO having its own amplifier it is not possible to send the sound into an aux in port. The other downside to the aux port application is when a call is received. The current IO Play kit goes inbetween the radio and the wiring so you don't have to go "into the stereo"

Hope this helps

Ben

jus

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
iO ipod Dongle - iO-BTAPODC for io play is now available

this baby rocks......
charging at the same time :)

it took me 30 ,mins to install into a transit connect (plug n play) cost me £185.00 for the io play and the charging dongle and it truly is an awesome solution.
i picked mine up from these people Nexxia

was on my doorstep next working day via ups!

i dont work for these people but i want a second one, and i'd like some discount so if you do buy from these guys please mention me (justin)

p.s. the guy that i dealt with offers tech support so give him a call, well helpful.

Scottish Rodger

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2008
iO Play

I have purchased a iOplay for my Volkswagen Passat 07 model. My phone is a Nokia E51. Purchased from Halfords, however fitter is having trouble with installation, problem is intermittent receiving and transmission, sometimes my car does not receive call via car speakers, I can't hear caller.
Halford fitter has tried 3 times to fit.
Anybody else have problems with fitting and did you overcome themhttp://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon5.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.