Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BluePAZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
I like my Powerbook G4 better than my MacBook Pro and i was wondering else is it just me or do other people like their PowerPC Macs over their Intel ones?

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I like my Powerbook G4 better than my MacBook Pro and i was wondering else is it just me or do other people like their PowerPC Macs over their Intel ones?

What has the CPU got to do with how much you like your computer? The only noticeable difference between one type of CPU and another running the same OS would be speed. You would only notice a difference if you were a developer.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
No I don't wish it. And although people thought it was the end of the world when it was announced, I can now say it was quite possibly the best decision ever made by Apple.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Well I didn't like the MacBook because I didn't want plastic casing. And, I didn't want the 15" MacBook Pro because I liked the footprint and weight of the 12" G4 powerbook better.

So, my dislike of the first rounds of intel-based machines had just about nothing to do with the chips. I did think it was smart of Apple to make the move. Unsettling, but smart!

Got the MB Air and I love it for the fast startup and the quietness. And that wonderful black keyboard with the illumination. Nicest kb since sometime in the 1990s. I am so happy that it doesn't have the heft of the 15" Powerbook when it's sitting on my leg on the couch. My powerbooks can relax and become desktop machines!

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
There were a couple of reasons to love PowerPC based Macs over the years:
- intro of G3 (Pentium toastin')
- intro of G4 (AltiVec!!)
- intro of G5 (the PPC "saviour".... Dual 2.0 GHz, 2 x 1 GHz FSB.. etc.)
- being kinda "different" could be considered cool.....

But there were many reasons to hate PowerPC too:
- G4 kept running @ max. 500 MHz for 18 months... (The Pentium 3's were definitely toasting the G4's by then..)
- Use of Windows in Virtual PC (or other emulators) was horrid.
- the gr8 G5 couldn't be put in a PowerBook (eh.... no I am not going to say it :p )
- Even the superb G5 hit the "wall"... liquid cooling et all, but never 3.0 GHz!
- Linux distros for PowerPC were too few available...
- being "different" could stir up all kind of irritating arguments...

Now we have Intels, we have many more reasons to love our Macs:
- Can't beat them? Join em... now we also have the latest and gr8est from Intel.
- Use of Virtualisation for fast Windows use... or even Boot Camp: The easiest way to get Windows to work perfectly on ANY computer!
- Switchers can much more easily move over to Mac, tnx to easy Windows integration.
- Let your Intel Mac run any OS you choose!

Let's be honest, the Intel based Mac is the most versatile personal computer ever!
And for speed..... the early 2008 Mac Pro is the best price - performance Mac ever made.

So, in short.... to answer your question:
Nope.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
New thread, similar question... ;)

Very happy with the Intel switch. I wasn't when I first heard about it, but then, I had only had my PMG5 about a month.

PPC in 2008 would look something like this:
G4 1.9998GHz (167MHz FSB)
G5 2.9998GHz (with a 1.49999 FSB) - cooling necessary

Nope. It was tiresome watching PPC lag.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
No.....Intel is faster...why would anyone want slower chips?

Plus Windows and more types of Linux run on x86...how could that be bad? More choices.....

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
No I don't wish it. And although people thought it was the end of the world when it was announced, I can now say it was quite possibly the best decision ever made by Apple.

I agree. The transition to Intel really made the Mac mainstream. Coupled with the iPod halo effect, the Mac has seen some awesome growth since then... I would never want to go back to the G4 - G5 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.