Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatchay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I have an older emac and will be purchasing a refurbished MBP shortly. I want to be able to tranfer my i-photo, i-tunes and other various files to the new one. I don't have a dvd burner on the emac, so burning cds would be cumbersome. I had intended on joining dot.mac to transfer files, but was wondering if I could just network the 2 with a firewire, or if I should purchase an external hard drive.

Any lower cost, simple methods would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

iPhil

macrumors 68040
I have an older emac and will be purchasing a refurbished MBP shortly. I want to be able to tranfer my i-photo, i-tunes and other various files to the new one. I don't have a dvd burner on the emac, so burning cds would be cumbersome. I had intended on joining dot.mac to transfer files, but was wondering if I could just network the 2 with a firewire, or if I should purchase an external hard drive.

Any lower cost, simple methods would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

You can do Firewire way .. that way is Target mode .. Hold down T during emac boot then emac turns into a ext. drive.. Drag n drop files simple ..

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
You can use target disk mode to transfer over firewire. An external hard drive would work too, and it probably would be a good idea to get one for backups even if you transfer the files with target disk mode.

fatchay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
You can do Firewire way .. that way is Target mode .. Hold down T during emac boot then emac turns into a ext. drive.. Drag n drop files simple ..

Awesome, thanks! Does it matter what kind of pin head I use? Can I use a 4-pin to 4-pin?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662

that too or just use migration assistant in the new macs setup assistant. its basicallt target disk mode except its automatic and transfers all yout settings, docs, music, videos, photos and apps.

BTW dot.mac = dot-dot-mac... hehe funny -> its ".Mac"

fatchay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
You can use target disk mode to transfer over firewire. An external hard drive would work too, and it probably would be a good idea to get one for backups even if you transfer the files with target disk mode.

That's true- I was thinking about that. I guess I am looking for the cheapest/quickest way (the purchase itself is denting my savings). Would OWC be a good source for an external hard drive? Any brands I should avoid?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
That's true- I was thinking about that. I guess I am looking for the cheapest/quickest way (the purchase itself is denting my savings). Would OWC be a good source for an external hard drive? Any brands I should avoid?

I haven't bought an external from OWC but I have bought other stuff from them and had a good experience, so they should be a good place to buy from.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Awesome, thanks! Does it matter what kind of pin head I use? Can I use a 4-pin to 4-pin?

you have to use 6-pin to 6-pin firewire 400/800

4 pin firewire is on digital video cameras =
4_pin.jpg

6 pin is the 'bigger' plug (Most common on Macs) =
6_pin.jpg

9 pin is the 'smaller' plug =
9_pin.jpg
< is the Firewire 800 cable the fastest transfer on the firewire side yet..

If you plug a 9 pin to 6 pin firewire cable into a compatible 6 pin connection on your mac then the device will run @ the 6 pin speed @400 Mbps not 800 Mbps ..

fatchay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
If you plug a 9 pin to 6 pin firewire cable into a compatible 6 pin connection on your mac then the device will run @ the 6 pin speed @400 Mbps not 800 Mbps ..

Thanks for educating me! So I will be okay with 6 pin to 6 pin? I just bought one this weekend.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Thanks for educating me! So I will be okay with 6 pin to 6 pin? I just bought one this weekend.

Yes it'll do the job .. Plug the cable into both macs and reboot the 'older' Mac,hold down T until you the firewire icon on the 'older' Macs' screen ...

Once done it should show up on the new Mac as an external drive under the your 'boot' drive , which is right under the Date/Time/Spotlight in the menu bar..

fatchay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Yes it'll do the job .. Plug the cable into both macs and reboot the 'older' Mac,hold down T until you the firewire icon on the 'older' Macs' screen ...

Once done it should show up on the new Mac as an external drive under the your 'boot' drive , which is right under the Date/Time/Spotlight in the menu bar..

Alright then, I'll do this once I actually get the MBP (it is on its way).

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.