Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
I would like to get the macbook or the macbook pro, but it depends on how much more life I'm going to get out of my G5. Right now, I'm very happy with it; it's a great machine, although I'm not running CS3 on it yet. I'm afraid that as adobe keeps coming up with new versions of CS, it just won't run on a non intel machine.

Bottom line...

If I can still get a lot of use/time out of my current machine, I would keep it and just get a macbook for the convenience and the obvious portability on the train (I commute a lot) and stuff.

OR

I can sell my G5 and invest in a Macbook Pro and have that as my only machine.

Any advise?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
What model G5 computer do you have (e.g. 2.0 GHz iMac)? Also, what do you use your computer for?

...CS3 will run fine on almost any G5, so you should be set for at least a 1-2 years longer (or more).

How long were you hoping for?

kwys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
It's a G5 Dual 2.0 GHz 1.5 GB machine, & I use it for graphic art.

I know I spent good money on this machine so I would like to get as much out of it as possible.

I know I can swing a macbook right now (or soon) & have that in addition to my G5. But I would hate to make that purchase and find out in a year that the G5 wasn't cutting it anymore and that the macbook was sluggish too and that I should have bought the macbook pro & sold the G5 when I had the chance...

I guess another 2 yrs would be good. Then again I freelance at firms that still don't have G5's or just have a few & are slowly introducing the intel machines. They have been running their entire business on out dated slow equipment. If I use that as my barometer, I could possibly have another ten yrs with this machine ;)

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Seriously a computer will last a LONG time if you don't always have the urge to buy the next new thing. My dad just upgraded his old G3 iMac to one of the new ones, mainly because iPhoto was so slow. He's had it for 7 years, and it was still running strong with heavy usage, and has never seen an apple store or applecare.

If you're asking such a question on these forums, people are going to say you should have upgraded a year ago. Just be happy with what you've got, and when it doesn't seem to be powerful enough for you anymore, upgrade. Macs will last as long as you want 'em, pretty much, as long as you don't abuse them.

kwys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
It's more of a question of productivity, not happiness. Which scenario will keep me productive longer; that will make me happy.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Well the G5 2.0 Dualie has about the same performance as the current Mac Mini C2D 2.0 (same as MacBook essentially) - the tower still gives you more HD support, video card more Ram possibilities, etc. A MBP will be way ahead of the current performance of the 2.0 G5, same with an iMac and let's not even go to the curent Mac Pro which would run circles around it.

If you are looking for a perfromance bump then you would need to go iMac, MBP or Mac Pro. If on a budget and needing portability go with a refurb MBP, if not then iMac.

kwys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
Where could I find a good deal on a refurb? I was under the impression that the refurbs weren't that less expensive. I would love to be wrong about that!

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
You say you haven't moved to Adobe CS3 yet - so are you using CS2?

I was running Photoshop CS2 on my iMac G5 2GHz and upgraded to CS3 - I think it's a lot faster.

I was seriously thinking of buying a new Intel Mac about six months ago but Aperture has sped up lots since installing Leopard, and Photoshop has sped up since going from CS2 to CS3, so I'm more than happy to keep running my G5 for a bit.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
We've still got a G5 DP 1.8 in the graphics department at work running CS2 and being used for general artwork on a daily basis. You don't necessarily HAVE to upgrade to CS3 (or CS4 when it happens) if CS2 is doing what you need.

Frankly, I'd say your G5 has another year or so in it for primary use - upgrade only when you just HAVE to use the latest software, and you'll find that most Macs will last around 4-5 years. I know several designers still making a living with G4s (including powerbooks), so you should be fine for a while yet. =]

rowath

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
If you're looking at this solely from a productivity standpoint, wait until '09 and then reevaluate. I think you're clearly fine for the time being.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
It's more of a question of productivity, not happiness. Which scenario will keep me productive longer; that will make me happy.
Based upon your previous comments.

Keep your G5 (which is a good machine) until it dies. :)

In the meantime, put some funds aside for a new Mac desktop or laptop. That way you will have the cash ready when you want to put the trigger.

If you really need a laptop, then get the minimum required for what you need (not want). Maybe a refurbished one. That way you can save more funds for your G5 replacement.

Remember, that as long as the computer still does what you need it to do, it is not outdated. Many still use G4 based laptops and desktops.

dringkor

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Computers don't get slower with the passage of time. (Unless they're Windows of course and they build up more and more viruses and malware, hehe.) The only thing that makes your G5 less useful in the future is that newer software will be written that requires newer hardware. When that happens, you can transition your G5 to supporting roles.

I have a Mac Mini G4 that I had been using as my main computer -- for iMovie, GIMP, Neo Office, Canon Digital Photogapher Professional, etc. I just recently bought a Macbook 2.2GHz that runs those applications much faster, so I moved my Mini to the basement office where it's connected to my scanner and an external hard drive. Now it functions as a "scanning station" for photos and also I've setup Time Machine on it and backup my Macbook and my wife's PowerBook wirelessly.

So until a computer just falls apart, you can find a use for it. Or else sell it on eBay!

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
How much does CS3 (or will CS4) offer that you don't get with CS2 (or CS3)? That is the question that will determine the life of your machine. If you are set with the features and such that are available in 2 (3), then I see no reason to worry about upgrading.

Since some of the above point out that CS3 will run well on your machine (and faster than CS2), I'd install it and then when 4 is released, see if you need it. If not, why worry - you'll get several more years out of the single purchase. If you do, worry about it then - by which time you will have more money saved up and as was suggested, move this machine to a support role.

Mr. Funsocks

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2007
Honestly just keep it until you feel that the whole machine gets bogged down when running minimal tasks. It should last you a few more years. I really don't think it will die. I mean it could, but it's not likely. I had a G3 ibook dual USB that still had about 3 hours of battery life and could pick up a wifi signal in a snap. And it displayed no signs of dieing. Despite being released in '01. But if you really want to upgrade, skip the macbook altogether and get a MBP and a cinema display. (Or another good display, as the cinema displays haven't been refreshed in some time.)

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
You don't necessarily HAVE to upgrade to CS3 (or CS4 when it happens) if CS2 is doing what you need.

i think that this is the crucial point. Any mac will run as well as it did on day one after any amount of time, as long as you are using software bought at around the same time as the comp. As such, if you feel that CS2 isn't cutting it for you any more, then upgrade to CS3, see how it runs on your G5, and if you are happy, then stay with the machine!

barijazz

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
Computers don't get slower with the passage of time. (Unless they're Windows of course and they build up more and more viruses and malware, hehe.) The only thing that makes your G5 less useful in the future is that newer software will be written that requires newer hardware. When that happens, you can transition your G5 to supporting roles.

I have a Mac Mini G4 that I had been using as my main computer -- for iMovie, GIMP, Neo Office, Canon Digital Photogapher Professional, etc. I just recently bought a Macbook 2.2GHz that runs those applications much faster, so I moved my Mini to the basement office where it's connected to my scanner and an external hard drive. Now it functions as a "scanning station" for photos and also I've setup Time Machine on it and backup my Macbook and my wife's PowerBook wirelessly.

So until a computer just falls apart, you can find a use for it. Or else sell it on eBay!

The problem with that is you run out of scanning and printing stations pretty fast.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
You probably still have time to cash in on the paranoid people with CS2 still. You should have sold it last year before CS3 came out though, you could have made a profit on it since they were selling for more than what they costed new thanks to all the rosetta FUD by ppc fanboys.

I would get rid of it while people are still using CS2. Now that CS3 is out though it wont be worth nearly as much, as more and more people upgrade to CS3 the less G5 powermacs are going to be worth on ebay.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
PowerMac G4 1.42Ghz. 2GB Ram work horse !

My primary machine is a PM G4 MDD 1.42Ghz DP Machine with 2GB of ram and 4 internal hard drives, I have no itention to replace it until it dies which at the rate im going will be no time soon :)

The machine is stable and strong and suits my needs I use Adobe CS and also work with FCP 5.1.4 no problems at all! :):):):) I am happy as a pig in sh-- with my G4.

Dainas

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
I would get rid of it while people are still using CS2. Now that CS3 is out though it wont be worth nearly as much, as more and more people upgrade to CS3 the less G5 powermacs are going to be worth on ebay.

it makes me laugh my head off still seeing people spend $1,300+ on what is a computer pushing 4 years. As soon as the CS3 transition is complete and the 3rd parties enter the final stages of ditching PPC, buying a used G5 just to use as a non-workbox will be like, well buying a used G5.. and not getting fleeced for what should only be payed for a brand new mac.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
There are people still using G4's as main production boxes. My G5 (PM) could probably last another 2-3 years (heck another 5 years if I don't care about 10.6/7 and having blow your mind speed), but I plan on upgrading it in August when it turns 5.

Not sure how much of change you'll get for it, but it probably isn't worth it.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
What type is it, the Dual Processor or the Dual Core?

If its the Dual Processor, drop at least another 2GB of RAM into it.

Dual Core, drop 4GB or so. 4GB of DDR2 is the same price as 2GB of DDR1.

Other than that, it should last still for quite some time.

Kirbdog

macrumors regular
My G4 PowerBook runs CS3 fine, I think it runs CS3 a bit quicker then it did CS2. It just feel faster, I have no benchmarks to back up that statement.
Any G5 will handle CS3 without issue, but having more RAM will always help run Adobe Suites.

Dainas

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
Well no one was doubting the usefulness of these machines. The point was that there were companies stuck on PPC only workware who were snapping up used G5 powermacs, and as such keeping the price artificially high. I'll be keeping my G4 as long as it cares to keep working :D Only run old CS and Office X on it myself though, new software is expensive :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.