Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
I ordered the Magsafe Airline adapter with my Air and although the Air arrived several days ago, the Airline adapter arrived today. This adapter plugs into the Air at a 90 degree angle, rather than straight on like the old adapter, so it is specifically made for the Air. It comes with a 20mm cigarette style adapter that slides on top of the EmPower port.

The magsafe adapter will charge the Air from my car, which I didn't think it would do. The light stays green and the battery icon shows charging.

Although the Air charger will not charge my Macbook Pro from my car, it will keep it running. The light that is green blinks in and out and it apprears that when the Macbook Pro power consumption is highest, like when the DVD drive spins, the light blinks off.

I wonder what the specifications are on the Airline adapter. Airline adapters are supposed to be for 15v in. My car is 12v to 13.5v in. Anyone know what the voltage is on the Macbook side?

kyleen66

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Seriously?

I just saw one at a closing CompUSA. I may go out and buy it based on this!

Thanks!

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
Keep in mind this is the NEW Macbook Air version.

Everyone has said that the old Macbook Pro version will not work. I don't own an old airline adapter and I haven't tried.

Also, in case it isn't obvious, Apple doesn't want you to do this. Page three of user guide clearly says not to plug it in to your car - that it "won't provide power to the computer or charge the battery."

But it worked for me.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
From the Apple web site:

Important notes:

Using the MagSafe Airline Adapter provides power for your computer but does not charge the battery.
The MagSafe Airline Adapter is not compatible with automobile power ports.

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
Maybe I was the only one that colored outside the lines as a kid.
Why on earth do something to your machine's charging mechanisms that a user guide says not to do? :confused: Just wondering...

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
Has anyone picked one of these up in the stores? I was at both the San Francisco Stockton Street and Stonestown stores and they said they didn't have any. I'm in New York now, so I'm :confused:.

:)

MacLissy

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
Miami
Lost 20 mm adapter, (like cigarrete car charger) is it sold separately??

I use this a lot and probably I took it out fast leaving the airplane and that piece stayed in the plane. Does anyone know if they sell it separately, because to buy the whole thing costs 50$...
I have a Macbook 13 inch black.

Thanks for the info

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
I use this a lot and probably I took it out fast leaving the airplane and that piece stayed in the plane. Does anyone know if they sell it separately, because to buy the whole thing costs 50$...
I have a Macbook 13 inch black.

Thanks for the info

I think you have buy a new one.

K2Climber

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
Arline Adapter seems to be working with MBA 2011

I purchased a 2011 MBA in July. At the same time, I purchased an Airline Adapter. I knew that it was stated in the user manual that this adapter would not work as a car charger. I was planning to cut the cable and use the magsafe end to create a car charging system using Mike Gyver's design. Mag Safe adapter and Targus computer charger.

I was about to cut the Airline Adapter and begin the assembly process when I decided to go ahead and see if the Airline Adapter would power the 2011 Macbook Air.

I plug it into the cigarette lighter of my 2005 Town-&-Country minivan. And sure enough, the adapter light turned green and stayed on steady, and the MBA shows it's receiving power!

I have a full battery at the moment, so that might affect weather or not this process will work for others, I have no idea weather or not it is charging the MBA, but it seems to be working just fine at the moment.

I looked at the specs on the wall plug for my MBA 2011, and it says 3.1amps, 45watts, 14.5volts. My 2007 MBPro says: 1.5amps, 60watts, 16.5volts. And other specs for other versions of MBPros, snow to have wall adapters with 4.6A, 85W, 18.5v. So, maybe these higher voltage devices will not work with the Airline Adapter when it is used as a car adapter. But for now, it does look like the lower voltage 2011 MBAs may work with the airline adapter.

I'm sure there are other issues to take into consideration, but I will be going with this set-up for now, and will update this thread, if some crazy disaster occurs.

barryf43

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2010
Plano, TX
Keep in mind this is the NEW Macbook Air version.

Everyone has said that the old Macbook Pro version will not work. I don't own an old airline adapter and I haven't tried.

I bought an an airline adapter last year for my 2010 MBP. I just presumed that it would work with my 2011 MBA, but haven't tried it yet. Can anyone confirm whether or not the old one works with the new MBAs?

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
This adapter plugs into the Air at a 90 degree angle, rather than straight on like the old adapter, so it is specifically made for the Air.

So you think that because the MagSafe plug is at a 90 degree angle, just like the ones found on all current MacBook notebooks, means that it is specifically made for the MacBook Air. I'm don't possibly see how you could have made that conclusion. It even states on the Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter page that it is for all Apple MacBook notebooks and not specifically the MacBook Air.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
So you think that because the MagSafe plug is at a 90 degree angle, just like the ones found on all current MacBook notebooks, means that it is specifically made for the MacBook Air. I'm don't possibly see how you could have made that conclusion. It even states on the Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter page that it is for all Apple MacBook notebooks and not specifically the MacBook Air.

Because back then the only adapter that had this design were the air, not sure if the 2009 or 2010 refresh had all laptops with the angled connector.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Because back then the only adapter that had this design were the air, not sure if the 2009 or 2010 refresh had all laptops with the angled connector.

My 2010 15" MacBook Pro had the newer angled MagSafe so it is definitely not a new change. I don't remember if my 2009 MacBook Pro had the newer MagSafe or not.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
The post you quoted was from 2008 :p

Oh wow I didn't even notice that. :eek: I guess I should have paid more attention.

The Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter was still never made specifically for the MacBook Air though, angled MagSafe or not.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Oh wow I didn't even notice that. :eek: I guess I should have paid more attention.

The Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter was still never made specifically for the MacBook Air though, angled MagSafe or not.

After the original MacBook Air came out, Apple changed the airline adapter to an angled connector to accommodate the Air. The first Air required the angled Macsafe connector; the original straight design wouldn't allow the Air to sit flat on a table and remain connected.

So while the cable wasn't specifically for the Air, it was revised so it would work cleanly with the Air.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
So can anyone else confirm that the air can be charged with the airline adapter in your car? If it can be, i plan on purchasing one asap.

freddobonanza

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
Hi all,
Any more reports on the magsafe airline adapter charging macbooks in their car? Could this be dangerous for your macbook?

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Me three. I want to know what's available that could safely charge a 2011 MBA 11" and 2011 MBA 13". All the info I've found as of late is rather dated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.